My very first application.... who wants to test?

Lukas

Real Name No Gimmicks
Hi all,

I'm proud to present to the audience of NTFS.org: my very first application!

Download:

What is it?
It's a small tool to allows you to remotely shutdown up to 3 pc's. Other features are: restart, ping, nslookup and connect via remote desktop connection

Can I run it?
Becouse I don't really know much about coding, so this app opens a hidden DOS-box and pastes the following line into it:

shutdown - m \\HOSTNAME -f -t "time is seconds"
If you are in a workgroup, not on a domain, normally the dos box prompts you to enter the admin username and pass. My app doesn't know how to do that so the requirements are:

- domain
- logged in as domain admin OR
- admin rights on all pc's you want to shutdown or restart
- .NET Framework 1.1

Do I need it?
I wrote this small app coz I need to shutdown 3 pc's of my own every time I go to sleep. My girl states that she can hear the pc's running and she cannot sleep with "all that noise" (the computers are 2 doors down the hall, but still... )
I believe this can be usefull under some circumstances...

What do you want from me?
Well, I need you to install the app, use it, and let me know if it doesn't work. I only tested it on my computers, and it works fine here. If you are satisfied with the app, redistribute it!
If you have any ideas or you know more about VB.NET then me (thats not difficult) let me know how to improve the application.

Known bugs?
Yes, 1 up untill now, check the readme file for details.

Anything else?
Yes, I forgot to mention in the readme file that it is possible to right-click on a hostname to ping and remotely connect to the that host.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Thnx in advance!

Lukas

Actually 3. But you can configure three remote hosts, and shutdown your local pc with the 'shutdown this computer'-button. So that makes four.

Next version is planned to have a possibility to shutdown up to 10 pc's with no significant GUI changes.

Enyo, check the Help - About form, the "thnx to"-text, all the way down. :)

Greetz

Lukas

Excellent, exactly what I needed :D
The timing was immaculate.
I'll get back to you on performance :)

Hi Lukas
Nice little program, thought I would give it a whirl. I run xp home on main computer and win98se on two other computers.

I ran the program, and all it would shut down was the main computer not the ones running win98se.

ejm

windows98 doesn't support the shutdown command

it uses C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE user,exitwindows

Maybe you can make one that supports this by making you set what the computer runs

Ok, didn't think about that... damn.
So I'd have to write a client app that calls C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE user,exitwindows on the Win9x machines, and a server app to call the client app remotely...

wow, I have no idea how to do that... :(

So the requirements are windows NT, windows 2000, Win XP or Win 2003... this sux, coz lots of people run only one xp machine as their server...

I'll look into it. Thnx for your feedback all!

Greetz

Lukas

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back