My Standby & Hibernate Fix for XP.

E

engel59

Maybe this will help someone else as well...

Standby and Hibernate now works on my Windows XP system by removing Adobe Type Manager 4.0.

I sent in a request to Microsoft and got the following Fix. I thought it was my BIOS causing all my problems. I was wrong.

Microsoft:
In this case you've indicated that when you try to go into Standby or Hibernate, you received an error message saying that your keyboard driver is causing the problem. You have a Dell QuietKey Keyboard and are currently using "PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)". When you first installed XP it did show your keyboard. When saying the error, you removed it to try a different driver. When you tried going back a reinstalling your old driver, it was no longer an option. You have tried different keyboard drivers and still get the same error message, just showing a different keyboard driver name. You uninstalled and unplugged your keyboard and driver and rebooted my system. Now it blames the ACPI for not being able to go into Standby or Hibernate. You called Dell and asked for a new BIOS but cannot get help from them. If I've misunderstood anything, please let me know.

In order to have a better understanding of the current status of the issue, please let me know if the keyboard error still persists. If the keyboard error still persists, please refer to the following information:

SYMPTOMS

When you are using a Standard 101/102-Key keyboard or a Microsoft Natural PS/2 keyboard, you may receive the following error message when you try to put the computer into Standby, Idle, or Hibernate mode:

The device driver for the "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard" device is preventing the machine from entering standby. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver.

CAUSE A

This behavior can occur if Adobe Type Manager Light or Adobe Type Manager 4.0 is installed on the computer.

RESOLUTION A

To resolve this behavior, use the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel to remove Adobe Type Manager Light or Adobe Type Manager 4.0, and then restart the computer.

CAUSE B

This behavior can occur if a program installs a kernel-mode driver that attaches itself to the standard keyboard driver (I8042prt.sys) and does not support Plug and Play I/O request packets (IRPs). Examples of programs that exhibit this behavior include:

- Pgpdisk version 6.02 and 6.5 (installs Pgpmemlock.sys and Pgpdisk.sys drivers)

- Adobe Type Manager version 4.0 (installs the Atmhelpr.sys driver)

RESOLUTION B

To resolve the behavior, contact the manufacturer of your program to inquire about the availability of an updated version of the program that is designed for use with Windows XP.

To work around this behavior, uninstall the program that causes this behavior, and then restart your computer.

NOTE

The third-party products discussed here are manufactured by vendors independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability. For more information, you may need to contact the manufacturer directly.

As for the ACPI prevent the computer from entering into Standby or Hibernate, it is a BIOS issue. You may need to contact the hardware manufacturer to upgrade BIOS. There is little we can do from Windows side regarding BIOS upgrade or regarding ACPI.

I wish it was that easy. I think my problem is just installed a USB 2.0 PCI controller card and it's making my system lock up when going into stand by or prevent it to go into hibernation mode.

oh, the cause for energy savings..not happening at my house!
!@#$ XP driven PC were in a love/hate relationship excellent operating system but, it wants to be on full power all the time!

oh well.
m.

I'm using a BUSlink USB 2.0 PCI Card and I don't have any problems. I am using they're updated USB 2.0 drivers. Does your card manufacturer have newer drivers? Try unplugging everything from your PCI Card and see if it might be some other device causing the problem.

SP1 Beta has USB 2.0 drivers. This may or may not fix your problem. The only issue, if you can install it, is that you have to install the hole Service Pack. You can't just install the USB 2.0 drivers.

It's just my two cents!

Why is it when someone says; "A penny for your thoughts", you give them your two cents? lol.

I have an external hard drive hooked up to it. And It's XP compatible which I don't need any updated drivers for the PCI controller card, I tried turning off the external hard drive and then going into sleep mode still no go; it's the card won't go to sleep.
oh well.
m.

thanks ! I've been having this problem too, so I'll try it

I installed a Buslink USB 2.0 card as well and have been having standby problems. The problems themselves are slightly different, however. When I instruct the system to go into standby, it does -- with the exception of all of the fans on my system (they stay running). I have selected state "S3" in my bios. Previously, the computer would appear to be completely turned off when entering standby. I do have the latest drivers off of Buslink's web. Furthermore, my installation of Windows XP is only 1 day old (just reformatted the HD).

I haven't positively identified the USB card as the source of the problem, but it is coincidental that others are mentioning it here...The only other change to my system recently was an upgrade to the 29.42 NVidia drivers (from 28.32).

If anyone have any thoughts on this, I would appreciate them...

Regards,

Q

My specs:
Pentium 4 1.9 GHz
Intel D850GB mobo
512 MB PC800 RDRAM
VisionTek Geforce 4 4600
Creative SB Audigy XGamer
3Com 10/100 NIC
Buslink USB 2.0 PCI card
LiteOn 16x DVD 48x CDROM
Plextor 40x12x40 CDwriter
Iomega internal ZIP250
Logitech Webcam

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back