My Pictures Keeps Re-creating Itself

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Here's some background. I always configure my PC's with a partition just for Documents.

The drive is D (D for Documents).

I point the "Documents" (I don't use "My") folder at "D:\Documents"

I also change "My Pictures" to "Pictures", "My Music" to "Music", and so on.

For some reason "My Pictures" will be re-created when using certain programs (namely Microsoft Office 2003). I have checked my registry for any links to "D:\Documents\My Pictures" and none exist. They all say "D:\Documents\Pictures".

I have also checked settings within Microsoft Office and they all point to "D:\Documents". So I am not sure where it is getting "My Pictures" from.

Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that Windows regards My Pictures as a system folder, and auto-creates it whenever you use word or another MS product - in the same way it recovers certain key files if they get sent to Java (i.e. killed)

Not experienced enough with the windows sub-system setup so I cannot really be sure.

Edit: A thought, do the apps reference My Documents as a save location in their internal settings at all? (For example, in Tools > Options > File Locations in Word XP or a similar location in the version you are using)

Further edit: Scratch that, it only references My Documents there - but maybe it has other stuff located in the Windows Sub-system for my pictures? Try what Grandmaster says :D

Last edited:
I remember there is a setting somewhere in Tweak XP that deals with the path to My Pictures. Try playing around with that.

I looked in Tweak UI (it was a good idea). It only has a rebuild icon for My Pictures and a path for My Documents (which is correct).

I will give that a try. Thank you.

Reps if it works. No reps if you failed me.

madmatt said:
I will give that a try. Thank you.

Reps if it works. No reps if you failed me.

lol, such pressure :nervous:

Looks like it describes your problem to a T, good luck with it.

Petros said:
Hopefully this will help you

Petros,

While that is a good tip, that is more using folder re-direction, or in your case "deceipt" :eek:

However, from best I can tell from reading it over, that wouldn't help in this case because he doesn't want to change the location (as the location is already set to D: properly), he just wants to stop Windows from re-creating the folder within the C: drive.

If he were to delete, or change, that would effect his D: folder as well.

At least, I think so :)

Very nice fine.

And if you paid attention (not going to mention names)... you would see I already checked the registry and made sure every thing was pointing to "D:\Documents\Pictures".

madmatt said:
Very nice fine.

And if you paid attention (not going to mention names)... you would see I already checked the registry and made sure every thing was pointing to "D:\Documents\Pictures".

Glad it worked :)

And I'll mention names, wait, no I won't :p

Yikes tough crowd :( Note to self: never misread initial posts or offer help unless I'm absolutely sure I have a correct and complete answer.

Petros said:
Yikes tough crowd :( Note to self: never misread initial posts or offer help unless I'm absolutely sure I have a correct and complete answer.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off that way. Folder re-direction, or trickery, is awesome. I was only trying to be more clear with what he was asking, and the difference between that and the solution you had presented.

No need to apologize, I am guilty of mis-reading posts much more than you are, I guarentee it ;)

Thanks for the contribution :)

IF you open TweakUI, under My Computer>Special Folders you can set the location for My Pictures.

I do this with My Music because I want that folder to be D:\My Music not E:\My Documents\My Music.

Also, with My Music make sure you change the rip folder in Media Player, otherwise when you launch it the folder will reappear.

Last edited:
Admiral Michael said:
IF you open TweakUI, under My Computer>Special Folders you can set the location for My Pictures.

I do this with My Music because I want that folder to be D:\My Music not E:\My Documents\My Music.

Also, with My Music make sure you change the rip folder in Media Player, otherwise when you launch it the folder will reappear.

Does that give you a folder in both places?

Admiral Michael said:

I don't have My Pictures listed. Odd.

Petros said:

Sorry Petros. I re-read my comment and it came across the wrong way.

madmatt said:
Sorry Petros. I re-read my comment and it came across the wrong way.

You should be slapped!

Also, since you are Mr. Hack Windows 101, did you disable that folder (my pictures) through a reg hack when you slipstreamed your CD?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back