My physics teacher is stupid, no?

well unless it's clearlt written on the test that u must use the formula she wanted, i was always been able to use any thing i want as long as i get right answer.

Did you use 9.81 as the value of "a" in your equation?

If you did, you're right, since "g" in your teacher's equation is equal to 9.81 m/s2 (acceleration due to gravity)

if she specifically asked for a certain formula to be used to solve the problem.. THAT is what you must use... regardless of if the other formula's you use will arrive @ the answer...

if I was the teacher though I would have given partial credit... I would not mark the whole thing wrong...

but thats just me and my perrogative... :)

btw I am accredited to teach high school level classes lol... :) in cs...

And did you put +9.8 or -9.8? If the sign was also correct, was the bula (the teacher) blond?

I got almost full marks in a differential calculus question even though I got the answer wrong.

Basically I'd used the wrong number at the start of the question but worked the answer right for the number I used. At the end of the exam I checked the answers and spotted the mistake. I wrote this down estimated the right answer (nearly correct!) and got nearly full marks!!

Mubbers

Never used calculus since!

First of all, physics exams are more about the process of getting the answer rather than the actual answer. Having said that if she didn't instruct you to use a specific formula in writing on the question you can use any formula you want. Well that's how it is in Australia anyway.

The equation or expression used (submitted) by you is incorrect and your teacher is right. Any expression where one variable equals the sum of two other variables related by a set formula (like the relation between say, amps/volts/watts) is defined as an exact equation that can’t be manipulated in the way you suggest, even if it produces the correct answer in this instance.

The equation might be totally wrong or missing something, but to prove this means that you have to provide the necessary logic using the original formula and complex mathematics that were necessary to prove it in the first place.

The reason why things are expressed in the notation a = b-c (or whatever) is very important as it has traversed the path of complexity to arrive at a situation where an exact relationship between three objects has been defined. This gives you the power to work out very simply (given any of the two variables) what the missing variable is. That’s why these systems are used. They are not perfect but rules of thumb and have been in constant use for more than sixty years.

Posted by stryka
My physics teacher let us play with mercury.

(serious)

I’ll have six pints of mercury, then I will be able to think straightish.

;) ;) ;)

Posted by BenQuilter
Sazar, would you not agree though that the two equations (vf=vi+at, and vf=vi-gt) are exactly the same thing? (its just that the acceleration was not given in the problem becuase it was a known constant, but is it not still accleration, and thus using a is just as good as g?).

and 1 more thing. she said it should be vf=vi-gt. now if she expected the g to have a "-" value (which she seemed to have), would not the problem be transformed into vf=vi-(-g)t, and thus turned into vf=vi+gt?

From my Physics days oh these are my physics days.

I thought the equation was
v is vf and u is vi

v^2 = u^2 - (1/2) a*t^2

Dunno sounds like a m00 point, its like a cows (your physics teacher) opinion it doesnt matter its m00

I am an 16 years old boy, I study physics, but we take a much much harder thing, for Example Archimede's principle "the three states of it", Surface Tension, Mechanical waves and Electromagnetic waves, the steady flow, the Turbulent flow, and a lot more, anyone understand anything? I don't!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back