My Page file is too high yet again.

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
I noticed that when i left my computer on, with steam open this morning, when i returned my page dile usage was at like 4 gb which is way too high. I close steam and it settles to 300 mb. Then i play counterstrike and when i finish my page file is back up to 1 gb and climbing, i close steam it goes away, is there anyway to fix this. Note that it just began happening today.
Thanks a lot,
Jack

Sounds like it is caching or something .. You could delete it then do a reboot. That might work ...

The pagefile will bloat up during a game. As textures are pulled from disk and fill RAM the older textures get shoved in cache. Technically it's the way it is supposed to work but there is a trade off between pagefile size and seek efficiency. If the pagefile gets fragmented then it can be worse than having to go to disk for the textures.

You can set a maximum pagefile size in device manager - advanced - performance - settings -advanced - virtual memory change. Whew out of breathe after typing all that.
Select custom size set a min (1.5 times your real RAM) and a max. Then click set.

But why is it doing it now?
It just started yesterday... :(
What is a good max?

Are you tinkering with it yourself? If so, what value did you set it to? I have heard a good rule of thumb is 1.5 times the amount of physical RAM, but I don't ever touch the values myself. I let Windows Manage the values for the most part.

Ah ha, my favorite question in the world!

"Why did my computer start screwing up 1-2 days after the latest M$ patches came out?"

Hmmm, let me see:
-Sun spots?
-Lunar conjunction?
-Act of god?
-Trojan?
-Worm?
-Spyware?
-The latest M$ update...

PS Max - as big as you want. Just remember that cleaning up the page file slows shutdown. I have mine set at fixed size 1 gig with 1 gig ram. I've changed size and let windows, do it etc. It does not seem to affect performance. Having the pagefile grow and shrink all over the place did aggravate fragmentation of my other files though so went I fixed size.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back