My own in-home email server question

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I would like to know if I can setup my own email server. Basically, one computer recieves the emails from my ISP's email server, from which I can view from anyone of my computers with the Thunderbird client on each. I would like to be able to read new and existing emails from any computer in house. All computers in house are home-networked together with a central file server computer using mapped drives, to which all are behind a router.

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance.

Heeter

Yes. This is similar to what I do.

I have a Linux box fetch all the mails from my ISP's POP server and other mail servers using fetchmail. I have filters put on those mails to filter out any penis enlargement ads. Fetchmail just drops all the mail it got into a user's inbox. I use Outlook, so I just get the mail through POP with my linux server as my POP server.

If you want to view mail all around your house, you could use IMAP instead of POP ... or if you need to use POP, leave the mail on the server instead of deleting them.

So basically the tools you need is a Linux box, fetchmail, POP3/IMAP server ... both are common in Linux distros.

If you have to do this in Windows though ... then I can't help you there.

I would like to keep it to Windows. I would to use my file server as the email fetcher from my ISP's pop accounts.

What IMAP be useful for my situation?

Heeter

If you want it strictly for Windows, all you really need is a program that automatically checks POP servers for you and downloads mail and deposit it in a local POP program.

IMAP would be helpful because you can syncronize folders among other things and you did mention wanting to read/view existing mails. IMAP would do just that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back