My New System

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
Hey Guys (and gals),

I just built a new desktop and was wondering what you thought. Here's the specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (89W)
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair
Memory: Kingston HyperX 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
Video Card: 2x BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC 256MB (SLI Enabled)
Storage:Power Supply: Enermax Liberty 620W ATX 12V Ver2.2 Power Supply
Case: Thermaltake XaserIII V2000A (Reused from old desktop)

Edit: Added pic. Note that the side panel is actually from a Thermaltake Armor (got it from a friend) which is why the top latch is missing. I will have to mod the case to get the latch to fit.
Edit2: Updated some specs and want to add URL for more pics: http://www.michaelsoft.gotdns.com/other/Computers/Evan/

Attachments

• IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    637.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Congratulations Admiral. What OS did you go with?

Well first I tried XP Pro x64 but the lack of drivers for some of my hardware made me switch back. That and the lack of a performance gain as well.

I've tried Vista Ultimate (even have a free copy for being a beta tester) but I despise it entirely. So I'm using XP Pro x86.

nice case and psu...

just a question... why didn't you go for a core2?

AMD Fan. Oh and my friend was going to give me his CPU as well but the store didn't have the one he wanted so he gave me $100 to put towards one.

ah, cool then

Glad its not just me who spends too much time tidying cables :)

Just let me add that I was having issues and learned OCZ and ASUS don't always play well together so I bought Kingston HyperX 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit to replace the OCZ and it's been clear sailing since. I also thought my PSU was underpowered as the mobo manual recommends at least a 600W so I upgraded to a Enermax Liberty 620W ATX 12V Ver2.2 Power Supply.

I updated the info in the first post. Oh and I took some pics:
http://www.michaelsoft.gotdns.com/other/Computers/Evan

any particular reason for going 2 x 512 and not 2 x 1 gb, ram prices are so cheap now.

Well Mostly is was money, those cost me about $150 and I had to charge it. I needed my system running and couldn't wait.

Also it's the only Kingston kit they had. They didnt have any of the 2x 1GB kit in stock also that kit wasn't the high performance ram with the heat spreaders (which I think look awesome).

Hmmm interesting to know as i was planning on coupling those two brands (OCZ and ASUS) more reading to do....

Check their website, they publish known working memory makes & models for their motherboards.

E.g. I have a M2N-SLI deluxe mobo and here is the qualified vendors list: http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2N-SLI%20Deluxe/M2N-SLI_Deluxe_QVL.zip

I have 2X1024MB GEIL's in my rig which isn't on the list [since they published after I bought it] but they work fine.

Isn't that interesting. No OCZ on the entire ASUS list.

Glad you posted that. FRY's is selling OCZ ddr2 6400 dirt cheap (2x1gb for $79 after rebate) and I was going to buy some to start accumulating parts for the next system. If asus has an issue then I'm not going to risk it since I won't be using the RAM for months.

Yea, but like I said, the GEIL ram I have isn't on that list but I haven't had any issues. Might not be a bad idea to stick with what they say work though.

EDIT: That list is for the M2N-SLI Deluxe, I am not sure if each motherboard has its own list or if that is for all ASUS boards.

Last edited:
Although its really old now, I have not had problems running OCZ in my A7N8x 2.0, and I am now running GEIL. However each motherboard is different so I don't doubt that OCZ does not play well with your board. Also I dont blame you going with AMD, I am going to go with Intel on my new system and it very confusing to know what chipset to go for, as least with AMD its easy and you went for the best :)

nice choices...I would look at this as well since intel is probably less than a month away from drastic price cuts...

That would be good. I'm not sure who I'd sell my CPU and mobo to. If I could even sell it.

Altho if the Intel drops the prices then it would be alot better for me as I still have to pay off my credit card (I put my laptop on it as well as other things).

This Intel idea was a thought, just wanted to see if I picked good components.

I have a question.

After using a Core 2 on my laptop I can say the Intel CPU seems to be more superior to AMD.

I was thinking of selling my CPU and Mobo and going with a Core 2 setup on my desktop as well. Just wanted to ask your opinion on the mobo and CPU I picked as this would be my first Intel build.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Socket LGA775, 2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache, 65nm (Retail Box) (BX80557E6420)

MSI P6N SLI-FI NVIDIA Socket 775 ATX Motherboard

I'm running that chip right now...and its niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Just get a better cooler. I went with Zalman...they never let me down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back