My New System Build

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Brad's Upgrade Thread

Hey Guys...I am building this system as a beginning gaming rig (I used to be really into it, but then I fell out of it, now I want to get back into it again). I need this system to be pretty powerful, but I want it to remain quiet as well. The fiance doesn't like the loud fans, but they don't bother me, so that is what I am shooting for, the fans to be quiet.

I should be building this in the next couple months, slowly getting the parts as I have the money. Let me know what you think!

Case:
Thermal Wizard Series Mid-Tower Case (basically a cheap case with a thermometer on it) **INSTALLED**

Motherboard:
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe **INSTALLED**

Video Card:
eVGA 256-P2-N553-AX Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail **Installed**

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4200BVBOX - Retail **Installed**

RAM:
Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model KVR400X64C3A/1G - Retail **INSTALLED**

HDD:
Maxtor 300GB L01S300 16MB Buffer Serial ATA (SATA) -**INSTALLED**

Sound: Onboard **Insalled**

PSU:
Antec TruePower 2.0 430W PSU **INSTALLED**

Last edited:
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi (XtremeMusic) -- less than $99.00
Video: NVIDIA 7900 series -- not badly priced for the lower end model

Sound isn't that important to me right now...I can adjust for that later and that video card is way out of my price range.

DO NOT get the 6600 there are MUCH more powerful video cards out now for just slightly more..

At a minimum get a 6800GT
I would also go with a better Mobo.. (I am biased towards ASUS) but either a Neo Platinum or Asus mobo would kick that Epox in the ARSE...

Also, Why would you buy such a nice processor and a lower-end video card?

Just my $.02...

Well, a big part of what I do is folding, so I want the machine to be good at that. Also, I am willing to get a higher end video card, but I can't spend over 125 for it. I just want something for now so I can use the computer when I get it, and then as I get more money, I will upgrade the video card.

On the ASUS front, I just had an ASUS **** the bed after less than a year of owning it. I am pretty jaded on their products now, so I want to get something other than ASUS

Brad said:
Well, a big part of what I do is folding, so I want the machine to be good at that. Also, I am willing to get a higher end video card, but I can't spend over 125 for it. I just want something for now so I can use the computer when I get it, and then as I get more money, I will upgrade the video card.

On the ASUS front, I just had an ASUS **** the bed after less than a year of owning it. I am pretty jaded on their products now, so I want to get something other than ASUS

What board did you have?
Did you contact Asus about the board?

Also, if you spend $100 more now you can get the 6800GT now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&description=6800GT&Submit=ENE&Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

I have never had an Asus product go bad before... ever, I am TRUELY suprised...

If you are going to continue folding you should also consider upgrading to two 1GB sticks of memory...

I had an A7N8X-E Deluxe. Right, this configuration is to get the computer off the ground, I will be upgrading it throughout though. Do you suggest that I just get 1 GB stick instead of 2 512s?

isn't the folding a product of the CPu and independent of the amount of RAM?
I'd also have to agree with Matt though spend the Extra 99 for an x-fi, don't need the Platinum. It can make a difference in the amount of sound off loaded to the Cpu during games.

Brad said:
I had an A7N8X-E Deluxe. Right, this configuration is to get the computer off the ground, I will be upgrading it throughout though. Do you suggest that I just get 1 GB stick instead of 2 512s?

Buy up to 2GB ram,

pairing the DIMMS...

2 sets of 512 is fine for cheapness sakes...

but 2x1GB is easier...

:)

Well, I went out and bought an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe. Is that a good board? I also bought a case as well.

Brad said:
Well, I went out and bought an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe. Is that a good board? I also bought a case as well.

Yes it is... If I were going to buy an AMD powered board that would eb the one I would buy

Congrats!

It is a beautiful looking board....now i cant wait to build this stupid thing lol

OK I made a couple changes, let me know what you think now.

Now all I have left is the video card and the processor

Is my PSU going to be enough power?

There isn't much going on, only one HD, onboard audio, you should be fine. If you got a case with a PSU paired with it, I'd probably question it. But Antec=Quality.

kcnychief said:
There isn't much going on, only one HD, onboard audio, you should be fine. If you got a case with a PSU paired with it, I'd probably question it. But Antec=Quality.

The case did come with a PSU, but I junked that one. I might sell it on Craigs List or something, but I just wanted to see if 430 would be enough with the dual core 64 and video card.

Thanks for the help

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back