My New Server

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
I got this yesterday for free.

8664.gif

Specs:
Intel P3 600MHz (Dual CPU Capable)
256MB DDR Ram

2x - 10GB 10k SCSI (Striped Raid into 1x 20GB)
4x - 20GB 10k SCSI (Striped Raid into 1x 80GB)

DVD-ROM IDE
Dual PSU
10/100 NIC
32bit/64bit PCI
64bit SCSI PCI Card

Man servers are awesome. I've never seen the insides of one, there awesome. And smart, in a sense that a fan popped out so the second one sped up to compensate. The diagnostic panel is awesome too. It's as heavy as hell tho.

At the moment I setup Redhat 8 to play around with linux as I'm a die-hard Windows user. Thought I'd expand some of my knowledge.

I manage two Dell PowerEdge servers for our university's ACM chapter. And yeah, servers are fun - dual PSUs, hot-swappable SCSI drives, gigabit ethernet...all that good stuff. :)

Also suggest looking into FreeBSD if you're interested in a UNIX-like OS for servers. It's a solid OS and very convenient to manage even remotely.

Went to my sister's friends house cuz her dad wanted me to look at there comps. Well one was in the basement with the server and I asked him about that. He said he got is from someone and a few people asked bout it (guess if he didnt want it, they'd take it) and he then inquired what I would do with it. I said I'd tinker with it cuz that's how I learn stuff. He then offered it to me, so of course I accepted.

I'd probably put Windows back on, I just put Redhat on to try Linux out a bit, since I hardly know much about it.

And here we are.

NetRyder said:
Also suggest looking into FreeBSD if you're interested in a UNIX-like OS for servers. It's a solid OS and very convenient to manage even remotely.

i second that :)

...Michael give it a try, tons of info on the web, plus its great to learn a second OS.:)

I manage two dell poweredge something or others for a UK based hosting company. Those are my main management concerns but I also maintain a range of other FreeBSD dedicated servers if things go wrong.

had a play about in the suite once or twice, ever cabled both ends of a 24 patch panel?

Last edited:
So my only questions is:

When is our OSNN sponsored CSS server coming online Mike? :eek:

HEHE :laugh:

Lucky

I think I am gonna set up a server just for storage and messing around with sometime soon. Pending on what I get for christmas.

you could always donate some of their CPU cycles to the folding team :)

fitz said:
you could always donate some of their CPU cycles to the folding team :)

If you're referring to me, I alrady have my dual cpu server folding as well as 2 other desktops. This server isnt on too much to be any use.

I have a server that runs a domain in my condo, and it runs Windows, and always will :smoker:

Sweet you got that for free, sharp lookin case too.

It's all about learning.

I was using the environment to study for my MCSA, and somewhere in the middle, I grew really obsessed with being able to control my laptop through GPO :)

I also have WSUS setup, someone please help me :p

NetRyder said:

Thirded.

(Osnn.net is run on FreeBSD)

kcnychief said:
It's all about learning.

I was using the environment to study for my MCSA, and somewhere in the middle, I grew really obsessed with being able to control my laptop through GPO :)

I also have WSUS setup, someone please help me :p

I can help, start by sending me your server and cdkeys :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back