My new laptop =)

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Ordered a new laptop today, and I just wanted to share my excitement with you guys :)
It's goint to be my first laptop, and I'll be using it at university.

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 5100
Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 2.4GHz
14.1" XGA screen @ 1024x768
512MB PC2100(266MHz) DDR SDRAM
30GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
16MB ATi Mobility™ Radeon™ 7500
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet & 56k Modem
Built-in, dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) wireless antennae
Type II PC Card slot, S-Video out, VGA out, FireWire, two USB 2.0 ports
12-cell Lithium-ion battery (approx. 3 hours of battery life)

It should arrive sometime towards the end of this month or the start of next. :happy: :happy:
Will let you all know how it goes...

Keep those hands steady - don't drop it!

Mub's

I just got my first one about 2 weeks ago, my desktop is lonely now haha.

sounds great........just get lemmings on there and u'll be sorted:p

Thanks guys! :)
I will make it a point to be very careful with it.

The UPS guy came and delivered it today.
Woohoo ... this thing kicks my desktop's ass! :D

Lots of reconfiguring/installing to do ... and it came pre-loaded with XP Home. Might upgrade that too.

COngrats on your laptop.
Couple of things
Ghost it right out of the box.
Get a good backup program ( I use second cup ) and do it regularly. This is not not to protect from system crashes but from dropping it (my first compaq - two years ago ) or getting stolen ( my second compaq - nine months ago ). Though with insurance I now have a very nice Tosh Satellite 5105.
And one other idea, I find with the different lans one tends to plug into as you are now mobile, it is a good idea to get a pcima lan card and use this for your more temp locations. Set up the onboard lan for your usual log in location. This works really well if you to set your dns etc. instead of using dhcp.

Hey RetNyder, congrats on the funky new boxen :D
Gotta agree with jdn, backup is a definate must. My mate has a lappy for uni and he's took it back and had it swapped for a new unit (or had the hdd wiped) at least 3 times now (varying problems)

Oh, and are you gonna try and get slack on there for nixxin on the move ? ;)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I created a DriveImage backup last night, and burned it to a couple of CD-Rs

SPeedY: I just moved the P3 desktop to the other room, and I'll be installing Slack on that sometime later (probably June, so I can play with it all summer before going to uni ;))
Not sure if I'll dual-boot with *nix on this thing yet.

Lovin' the responsiveness of this ... now I gotta test it's 3 hour battery life :D

You gotta put nix on there! scare newbies on the move with a none-windows o/s :D

Nice, nice laptop! I'm impressed with all but the graphics card :) How is the screen's ( and cards ) performance in games?

The screen seems fine to me for movies ... I haven't tried out any games on it yet :)
I'm sure it beats the hell out of that old TNT2 tho :p

Cool, I ordered a Dell laptop a few days ago, I'll be installing Debian on that for sure!

let me know if the nix install works well, I been lookin for a lappy that works fine with FreeBSD and such

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back