My new graphics card doesn't fit! Help!

Thrip

OSNN Junior Addict
I just bought a G-force FX5200 graphics card, and though it says PCI on the box it doesn't fit in my PCI slots! It's too big! Doh! :suprised: Are my PCI slots somehow antiquated? The computer was bought two years ago, Fujitsu, 2.0 Gig Celeron. If the PCI slots are antiquated, what kind of a graphics card can I buy that will fit them these days? No AGP, I'm afraid...

Just doulbe check that your card is not pci express (though i doubt it as its too old) I would have to say double check and maybe take it back as personally to me it sounds if they have shipped an AGP card by mistake!

Let's see a screenshot of that card as then we can tell you if it is AGP or PCI.

A good way to tell an AGP card (apart from the longer connector) is that there will be a gap in the motherboard connector of the card (the end furthest away from the back coonecting plate) and after the gap is an L-shaped hook (which would normally be outside the slot) this is used for securing the card

American Zombie said:
Let's see a screenshot of that card as then we can tell you if it is AGP or PCI.

My digital camera isn't really up to it, but here's a screenshot of the card and the slots... the card's box says "For use with AGP or PCI slots"... my local computer shop told me the slots were PCI, but were old and no graphics cards use them anymore... is that true?

Attachments

• FX5200.JPG
    FX5200.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 194
  • PCISlots.JPG
    PCISlots.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 181
indyjones said:
A good way to tell an AGP card (apart from the longer connector) is that there will be a gap in the motherboard connector of the card (the end furthest away from the back coonecting plate) and after the gap is an L-shaped hook (which would normally be outside the slot) this is used for securing the card
As you can see from the screenshot I posted above, it has an L-shaped hook like you say. But it says "for use with AGP or PCI slots" on the box. Really! :cry: Is there no card which will fit my old slots anymore?

indyjones said:
Just doulbe check that your card is not pci express (though i doubt it as its too old) I would have to say double check and maybe take it back as personally to me it sounds if they have shipped an AGP card by mistake!
It doesn't say anything about PCI express on the card's box, just "For use with AGP and PCI slots". But this thing would end up hanging out the back of my computer if I were to ram it in there... not that I would do that, of course :eek:

Its definatly a AGP card I am afraid, there are no cards that are for both (the box may generic). I suggest you take it back. You can still get PCI graphics cards and I belive you can get that card in PCI format so you just need to try again :-/

Sorry to take so long to reply but that is an AGP card.
There is a FX 5200 PCI but that is the AGP model in the picture.

Thrip said:
A generic box... oh man...

Quite often things are like that they provide both bits of information then just use a sticker or a tick box to show what is what. Hope you kept your reciept :(

indyjones said:
Quite often things are like that they provide both bits of information then just use a sticker or a tick box to show what is what. Hope you kept your reciept :(

Yep, I should have checked out that sticker! Anyway, I'm going to take the opportunity to upgrade my antiquated motherboard and processor... :) thanks for all your help, great forum!

im afraid you only option is to send it to me and let me deal with it ...

is there anyway you can add a pci slot on your motherboard?!@

because i have the same problem.. my geforce fx 5500 overclocked does not fit my new computer :(

specs:

intel p4 with Hyperthreading technology
3.0GHZ
512mb ram

yes you can buy a pci slot card, that goes into your existing slot, (you need to determine what that is) and then the card have the pci slots of the side, but this wont help if you need to put a v/card into it.

If you have a pc with no agp slot, i think its time to upgrade.

I had the same problem with the card not fitting, (I learned that it was an AGP card) so I sent it back to the company and they sent me a PCI card. However, it doesn't fit in my computer either!! Does my computer even have a Graphics card slot? OR am I that computer illiterate that I don't know what I am doing?

If you tell me how to insert a picture, I'll put some up for y'all.

P.S. New member like 5 mins ago. Found this site cause I was having problems inserting my graphics card. =)

P.S.(2) I played around with the attachments option so I think I added them.

Attachments

• Card slot 2.jpg
    Card slot 2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Graphics card 1.jpg
    Graphics card 1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 140
  • My computer 1.jpg
    My computer 1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Yay! I did insert the pictures. I'm soo smart. =) (not smart enough to put in a graphics card though.)

Those are standard PCI slots in your MB.

Now WTF kind of weird ass card did those idiots send you? That is not a PCI card. The connector plate is mounted way too low. It won't fit into a standard chasis. Possibly for a small formfactor case or a portable.

And BTW who are you dealing with I want to make sure I avoid them.

(The people in shipping departments are not real bright.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back