My new future system

zapoqx

Striking Master
So I was getting things together and it occured to me about something.

I am looking to do a custom system and with the help of my father, we got alot of things together. HOWEVER, it occured to me that the power Supply may not be good.
If you want to look at my listing, here it is:
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3307792

If not, here is the break down:
Mobo: MSI K9N SLI Platinum Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Dual Core
Memory: OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Video: 2 x ATI 100-435800 Radeon X1900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Sound: Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Platinum 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card with Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speaker
Power Supply: COOLMAX "SLI" CXI-600B ATX v2.01 600W Power Supply
Fan: ZALMAN CNPS7000B-Cu LED 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan
Hard Drive: 2 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Tower: Broadway Com Corp 9968-RD Red Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I am realtivly new to the whole SLI/Crossfire, but I'm not sure if this will work out. So what can you tell me?

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention. I will be adding in a TV Card from my other system. Wanted to mention it for Power addition and a PCI slot use. My father already has a DVD +-RW which I think is Dual Layer able from what he's said, but I'm not too sure. I will be transferring one DVD-RW drive I have currently into it as well. I think other than that, there is nothing else that will be transferred as it will be completly done from scratch.

Last edited:
I have just one thing to say: Intel Core 2 Duo! I would also wait for DX10 cards to show up.

The X1900 is a sweet card (in my opinion) and so is the X1950. But neither are DX10 compatible (so I wasted $550 a few months ago).

I'd wait.

3 points

1) Don't get that psu get this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931
Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply
$89.99

2) Don't waste you money on SLI or Crossfire unless money is of no concern, because i guarantee you that you'll only see a maximum or 30 pfs more than the single card. two cards don't mean double the power, it would be better to get one x1950xtx.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814195024
ATI 100-435843 Radeon X1950XTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR4
$499.99 as opposed to 2x x1900gt $559.98

3) Don't go amd right now intels core 2 duo 6400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004
is far faster than that cpu you picked out.. **see the attached image as proof, its about 40% faster according to intel, in fact only only the 4800 or 5000 even comes close in speed.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz
$227.00

4) I would recommend this mobo to go with it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131032
ASUS P5NSLI Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI Intel Edition
$119.99

I don't think you'll find many disagreeing with my alternatives here.

EDIT what madmatt says is also very correct, if i where you, i would wait if possible until next yr for the purchase of alternatively get a cheaper card say the 7900gt which is about $300, its purely up to you.

Attachments

• cpu com.jpg
    cpu com.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 157
What Lancer said. You are not getting a decent power supply that will reliably support this generation video cards and cpu's for $59 including case. Look for a case you like without power supply it should be $10-20 cheaper and buy what Lancer recommended though I have seen that same model cheaper.

SORRY for this Zapoqx but:
ROFLMFAO!
You're right, you are new to dual video. You have an Nvidia MB and Crossfire dual ATI video cards. Ummm, not possible. Don't feel bad tho, others should have noticed that...
-Crossfire requires an ATI chipset MB.
-SLI requires an Nvidia chipset MB.

What price are you looking at for your video setup? Then we can make better recommendations. Though with htat high end a rig, not getting DX10 support is a bad idea. When the new cards come out with DX10 HW support the price on whatever you buy now will drop in half.

CPU - this sours my mouth saying but. The new Intel Core 2 Duo has some nice price/power/performance ratios. On the other hand AMD is price chopping to compete. The AMD 64 X2 4200 is not much more than the 3800 now.

Last edited:
like i said in the "HELP: Recommend a card" thread..... don't wait for DX10 if you don't want to.... or if you do want to, wait till they have quite a few nice reviews of the 8800GT and 8800GTX before spending $449-499 for the GT and $649 (both seem to be possibly confirmed) on something that may end up just like the first generation of DX9 hardware.

and.... did anyone else see the irony in his signature?

if you are going to spend that amount of money on a system, you need to make it future proof. you either need to decide on crossfire or sli support, and core 2 duo or amd am2 socket for the ddr2 ram. that means, choosing a motherboard that either supports sli or crossfire, and buying one of the respected video cards (nvidia for sli, ati for crossfire) and a power supply, respectfully.

it looks like, and i could be wrong, but it loosk like you and your dad just hopped on newegg and threw together a slew of computer components not really know how to make the best of it.

some people have said that sli is not needed, but, games are ever evolving, and you need more and more power to play them. sure, you might be able to play that game now with one video card, but who knows what the requirements will be when the sequel to your favorite shoot'em up comes out. just makie it so you atleast have an extra pci-e slot so you can throw another video card of same like in when you need it. buy it when you need it! have fun building your new system!

In one year? More like three-four months at the current rate.

Sorry for not replying sooner so anyway:
1. Well This is projected to obtain in January as I need a new computer as my current one if you look at my profile is pretty dam low end right now. In fact, its in bad shape. I of course will be paying attention to the tech stuff through to January.
2. In January I will have a budget of roughly $2,000, can go a bit more or a bit less.
3. I know on video cards when it comes to 1 use, but when dualing, I don't know that much. In basics, when a few game companies signed contract with Nvidia, I chose nvidia graphics for preps from it. That and my past experiance with ATI wasn't good but they are better now.
4. The other thing... I didn't know that the DX10 compatibility would be coming out soon. How soon will that be? Before or after that time?
5. I have heard about the Intel processors but with my busyness on homework and such and the rest of the limited time in use with gaming and beta testing, Its been hard for me to read up on that. Although I don't rely on a certain source from a person who thinks he knows it all in which he hates Intel with a passion and is a heck of an AMD fan, basically will never get an Intel and I won't rely on info from that person.

6. If the DX10's are supposed to be the new things, will the newer 64-bit stuff combined with the newer vid cards still have compatibility graphic wise to some of the older games like back in 98 and such? I have a few games I still play from back then with my friends once in a while and don't want an error and have to find manipulations to get it working.

Thanks

and Dragon...
My sig is true, but in this case, it was a bump a day later. Usually at least 1 person posts something from what I've seen here, but I figured if no one responded that day, I'd wait 2 more days and try again and if not, then give up. :) No irony :)

its known that future proof does not mean indefinately, it means for 6 months to a year. omly having to buy pc components once to twice a year for your pc is a good thing.

the GeForce 8800GT/GTX cards are rumored to be due out mid-november, but i think it's just about everybody's equal advice to hold off on buying the first generation of DX10 cards. if it's anything like the first generation of DX9 cards, they will have one helluva dreadful start.

ok so let's say that I start buying the components for everything except vid card in January. Let's say Febuary DX10 cards get a bit better and can actually be worth buying. Would it be better to get it then instead of January or what?

And mind you this is all in future terms so when January comes around, I'll ask again on this. I'll just bump this topic up when it comes for an update.

forgot you said you were buying in January. If i had to give a definite answer..... i'd say by the time you're ready to order the parts, check on some reviews of the 8800 series (if they actually are going to be released mid-november). if a lot of the reviews say it's rather crappy, then i'd say wait a little bit.

got it. Thanks for the info.

So everyone, should my estimate for January be between $1700-$2000? If that's the case, then it should help me for later on. Thanks!

WAG-

Dual core CPU XP4200 Class $200
Feature rich MB $150-200
2 GB DDR2 800RAM (2x1GB) $200
Dual Core Video card (SLI/Crossifre in one slot) $500-550
XiFI Platinum $180
PSU ATX 2.01 Good Brand $80-120
Fancy Case w/good cooling $50
TV Tuner Card $80-160
Keyboard/ Mouse Wireless? $80
Dual Layer DVD $50
SATA HD (2) $200
------------------------------
Subtotal $1770-1990 Plus Tax, Shipping, etc
Speakers (your on your own, I don't do speakers)
You're busted!

These prices (except for video) usually come down in the February time frame as the Christmas demand dies off.

Places to cut back are limited:
-dual layer dvd if your dad's is ok
-MB with less features (I never use the fancy ones I get)
-just get one HD for now.
-video and TV cards.
-xifi extreme instead of the platinum.

well I got my own TV Card I'm just gonna switch over.
I have to have 2 320GB for certain reasons
I got the mouse I will be using, I just need the Keyboard replaced as I have a fricken standard dell keyboard since my old keyboard broke.
I have 2 DVD drives of my own so if my dad puts in a DVD drive of his and add in one of my DVD drives, it should work well enough.
I am unfortunatly not able to have upgrades twice a year like I would like so that is why having a setup that should last me for a min of 1 year before upgrading a bit would be nice.

Hmm with that additional info you should be able to get in just under $1700 including tax and get what is the best on the masrket right now, including the dual GPU 7950 card.

Shipping cost is going to drive you a little over. Especially on the case and PSU (heavy). Buy them locally if you can.

I'd suggest starting a watch for really good deals on DDR2 and the HD's now. Over the next four months a great deal should pop up. DDR2 prices are pumped right now due to demand. As they discontinue DDR and switch over manufacturing capacity the DDR2 will drop in price.

Waiting is best on CPU/MB/Video. They go nowhere but down.

ya. I won't have the money by then. That is why this is all financed thought out. The shipping shouldn't be bad though becausewhen I shipped my computer from FL to AZ back when I was moving, it only cost like $70 even though a monitor and a couple of other stuff were in there as well.

I'd sell you my system for that price. My configuration is basically the same as what you have listed.

AMD Opteron 175 (Dual Core)
ASUS A8N-SLI-Premium
2GB of DDR400 ram
BenQ 1620 DVDRW drive
7800GTX 256MB ram
Hard drive configuration could be my dual Raptor setup
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ Powerstream 420W PSU
SB X-Fi Platinum

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back