My Mouse in XP has gotten slugish/slow

V

Vorpal

This is odd, but both on my current setup and on a fresh install (using Ghost images to check), my mouse speed has slowed down in XP..... almost as if I have some hardware problem.

I'm at full pointer speed and a minor mouse movement should make the mouse fly across the screan... but I'm looking at around 1.5 inches of movement for a screen pass at 1024x768.

I even went out and bought a new MX300 mouse - same problem.

I've never had this problem before and it seems odd... ?

I have this same problem with both a Logitech and Microsoft Optical mouse and the built in touchpad on my laptop. Please help.

Vorpal, is the mouse movement jerky at all??, and do you use any Norton software??
I would also check your video card drivers (up to date?!?) and also if there is anything untoward running in the background (like an automatic defragmenter (perfectdisk etc.)) It sounds like you have something hogging a little too much processor, and Norton is notorious for that!!

TOK:)

Originally posted by gothic
Vorpal, is the mouse movement jerky at all??, and do you use any Norton software??
I would also check your video card drivers (up to date?!?) and also if there is anything untoward running in the background (like an automatic defragmenter (perfectdisk etc.)) It sounds like you have something hogging a little too much processor, and Norton is notorious for that!!

TOK:)

Jerky - no not at all. I have the default of "enhance pointer precision" on. But, it's never been a problem before.

Yeah - I thought about the Norton thing. Although, when I first noticed it is when I was restoring a clean image. Only installed where
-XP / SP1a
-All updates
-basic audio drivers
-Catalyst 3.4 drivers

Funny thing is, I never noticed it before. It just started happening after I restored that image and now that I've restored my real system the problem is here too.

(btw, if anyone is wondering.... I'm switching images to slowly make a really clean and organized series of ghost images.... I'm doing some work every once in awhile and then restoring my full system. It takes me so many hours to install everything I use, I get burned out. Just building up to a perfect controlled installation with many image stages)

I'm going to play around some more....

Considering the image thing I've been doing, it seems to rule out any OS/Software problem (but something is still wrong - very slow).

Oh, btw - using default windows mouse drivers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back