My Local Cash Machine - No Joke!

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
These are some pictures taken with my Samsung E700 mobile phone so the quality is iffy! But you get the gist good old Microsoft!

Attachments

• Photo0035.jpg
    Photo0035.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 249
  • Photo0036.jpg
    Photo0036.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 316
My Nationwide cashpoint crashes all the time too.
On saturday night it froze for five minutes with my card inside!

Was going to cry.

Runtime errors, hehe. You'd think these things would run on Linux or some custom operating system.

It happens all the time at the train station in Birmingham though, errors or bluescreens. Real handy when you need to check your train time home :p

Happens all the time, ones me and a friend managed to use the touchscreen as a mouse and play solitare on an ATM that crashed :p

Bank of America ATMs like ta do the MicroSquish "error" popup dance also. Drives me nuts. Had one do it because I hit one button that did the same as one on the side of the screen. It didn't like it. Took 2mins. to reset itself. :(

Oddly enough our cashpoint is going down at the same time, so I guess they are gonna fix the bug.

Could care tho, plenty of cash points in Salisbury.

indyjones said:
.... good old Microsoft!

For once looks like application error though - from what I can see it is the NationWide C++ app that abended!
:rolleyes:

That'll teach you to use an inferior bank! :p
Only joking, but surely that could well be used as a security round-about somehow?

Nationwide's machines are very unreliable. I had one eat my brand new card not so long ago.

As mainframe said In Microsoft's defense the above error is nothing to do with the OS its the developer who needs a poke :)

Nationwide machines run on NT for the most part, go figure.

And some machines run on OS/2 Warp.

I should know, I work for a company that makes these things.

The build of NT 4 that runs is on a hardware secured x86 platform.
The os is also slightly changed by m$ to prevent any keyboard/mouse use when running the full suite of apps.

Cards are currently a moot point as financial institutions are gearing up for "chip and pin", most atms have been upgraded for smartcards, but there have been a few teething problems :(

Unleashed said:
That'll teach you to use an inferior bank! :p
Only joking, but surely that could well be used as a security round-about somehow?
Hey you,I've used them for 19 year and they ain't a bank their still a Building Society :p

seen those too often. lol.
lucky i dont use ATMs that often. :)

Yeah 99% of the time it is an application that screws the OS not the other way round, I just thought it was quite amusing :)

It's true that a lot of ATM's are running OS/2. Some run on custom NT4 builds.. and more and more are switching to Embedded Windows from what I hear.

he he i have seen those errors, most thing run m$, even supermarket tills run 95 ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back