My Half Life 2 is stuttering

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I posted a couple of days ago that I repurchased HL2, but this time I bought it from Steam. I finally have everything working, but not good.

My system specs are listed at the bottom in sig, I am having a lot of stuttering during gameplay. Both audio and video. The loading of a new map during gameplay is very long as well.

This the fifth time I have started playing HL2, the last four times was on my old 2500+ machine with a DVD version.

I am thinking that I am starting to regret selling my DVD version with the machine I sold.

My question is: Is HL2 from steam being played online or is the whole game uploaded into my machine?

Does HL2 have issues with my new chipset? (Nforce3 vs old NForce2)

Does it have any issues with any of my other setup?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

I've never had any problems with it that were not fixed by driver updates. Video and sound drivers would be the first thing to look at.

Kind of basic, but defragging as well.

the whole game is downloaded to your machine. There is no difference between the steam versiona nd the DVD version.
Try updating drivers, and or lower the video settings in the game, see if it makes a difference

Check your startup entries too, run ccleaner, defrag is excellent tip, make sure you are not torrenting.

Hi Guys,

This is a fresh Windows Install,

Catalyst 6.2, Gigabyte CD mobo/audio drivers.

Defragged after Steam finished updating everything.

Haven't even installed all my apps yet.

I am running with what the game is using as audio/video options.

I will lower some settings see if that is what it's doing.

Thanks so far guys, for your help.

Heeter

I have the stuttering problem on my desktop as well (see sig), its a little here and there but on my machine it shouldn't really.

Altho I did check defrag levels and wondows said something like76-86% fragmented, no idea how that happened as I usually defrag once every few days or when I get bored I check it. BUT I haven't launched HL2 since the defrag so I dont know if it made a diff.

EDIT: Btw, my drivers are up to date except the catalyst, Im using the last version that doesnt include the stupid control center.

HL2 basically has a stutter-bug.

It's part of the engine and is typically only experienced on certain configurations. Those who do experience it typically are stuck with it.

It is irritating but unfortunately there is no much that can be done other than various user-defined work-arounds. Some may work and end your suffering, others will simply compound the problem.

Sazar, would you know where I can look to find some user-mods that I could attempt?

Heeter

Heh, I wish mine stuttered. Its so smooth for me I get motion sickness playing it for too long :(

LordOfLA said:
Heh, I wish mine stuttered. Its so smooth for me I get motion sickness playing it for too long :(

Mine stutters and for some reason I still get nauseous.

Actually I think I fixed it, a defrag seemed to clear it up.

You can play around with some settings.

It stutters from time to time but for the most part mine is buttery smooth almost maxed out at 1680x1050 4x/8x. Water reflection is turned down from reflect all to reflect world (or whatever the middle setting is).

Admiral Michael said:
Mine stutters and for some reason I still get nauseous.

Actually I think I fixed it, a defrag seemed to clear it up.

hehe, a periodic degrag of the drive, is always a good thing :D Speaking of which, it's been a few weeks since I defraged my drive. Thx for the reminder :)

1600X1200 16X-6X high quality 90ish FPS. :D

I get the stuttering while changing levels. It gives me a chance to look away for a second.

Well I wont be able to play HL2 anymore. My All in Wonder 9600XT just died. When to bootup my desktop and it would do anything but turn on. I removed the video card and turned it on just to see and the speakers proclaimed VGA error so the motherboard is ok. I got back my Geforce4 440MX from a friend and the system works, I just want to get a better video card. HL2 loaded with that card but I haven't gona anywhere graphic intensive.

My friend has XFX GeForce 6600 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / Dual DVI / TV Out / Video Card and he says its really good so I'm going to see bout getting that card. Im sick of ATI and their control center, not to mention a few probs witht the card itself. And apparently XFX has a lifetime warrenty on yhr 6600 cards so there's a plus.

Lifetime == shelf lifetime of the product.

Very, very few manufacturers or company's actually provide a TRUE lifetime warranty.

Omega drivers.

6800 is a good buy, or a X800GTO2.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back