My Documents?

zapoqx

Striking Master
Hi all,
How do you get the My Documents to show up on the My Computer area??? I am using my laptop and I changed the default settings that the people made it as Owner to my new username that I intended to have.... and one thing I know is that even though I changed my username... the folder the old username Owner was assigned to never changed anything (including in the registry settings).
Thanks

Right click tackbar, props, Start menu, Customize, Advanced

I think thats what you wana do didnt read all of what you said :p

Guess thats not you wana do, do you mean where your H/d, Cd's Drives show up etc

If you mean by the Start Menu do what i said

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I tried that but unless I'm missing something, it is not in there. It only shows up for the start menu. Here is the deal:
When I bought this laptop at CompUSA, they did some installation and optimization. When I got the laptop, the login ID was Owner.
As I wanted to change that, I found finally through the console userpasswords2 I could change it there.
So I changed the login from owner to something else (say Zap) and gave it a password and a description (I know... not really necessary).
After restarting my laptop the My Documents in the My Computer area where it used to show "Owner's Documents" was gone but I still had the shared Documents active.

Oh i anit got a clue about that, a n00b when it comes to anything other than simple things with XP :p

Sure someone should know or why or something though

zapoqx said:
I tried that but unless I'm missing something, it is not in there. It only shows up for the start menu. Here is the deal:
When I bought this laptop at CompUSA, they did some installation and optimization. When I got the laptop, the login ID was Owner.
As I wanted to change that, I found finally through the console userpasswords2 I could change it there.
So I changed the login from owner to something else (say Zap) and gave it a password and a description (I know... not really necessary).
After restarting my laptop the My Documents in the My Computer area where it used to show "Owner's Documents" was gone but I still had the shared Documents active.

Did you simply change the user name or make anothe user?

If you made another user, unless you change the account type to administrator, you wont have access to the information.

If you deleted the account by accident, sad to say unless you created an emergency recovery disk, all the data you had is lost.

to check:

Click Start
Click control Panel
double click user accounts

In this window you should see what accounts are on the machine. look to the far right and under group your account name should say administrator if it doesnt you wont have access to all the files on your computer.

Try that, and if it doesnt work, post again, I will help you again as soon as I can.

Mike A!

zap wherein florida are you?

mlakrid said:
Did you simply change the user name or make anothe user?

If you made another user, unless you change the account type to administrator, you wont have access to the information.

If you deleted the account by accident, sad to say unless you created an emergency recovery disk, all the data you had is lost.

to check:

Click Start
Click control Panel
double click user accounts

In this window you should see what accounts are on the machine. look to the far right and under group your account name should say administrator if it doesnt you wont have access to all the files on your computer.

Try that, and if it doesnt work, post again, I will help you again as soon as I can.

Mike A!
Don't worry, I have access to them. It allows me to go in Owner's folder because some how, anywhere else that My Document button is accessible, it goes to that user folder. Its just in the my computer it doesn't have My Documents anymore unlesss I'm in another folder where it shows on the side My Documents. Check it below on the image.

Oh ya and Lancer... it doesn't really mattersince I'll be moving soon.

Attachments

• desktop7le.jpg
    desktop7le.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 52
Right-click "My Documents" on the start menu and select properties.

Check that the target line is correct and if not then click on the "Restore Default" button. Could just click on "Restore Default" anyway as I have seen this clear up problems pertaining to My Documents folder before.

Damn you beat me to it...

LOL!!

Hey Zombie where you at that you posted at 215 AM??

zapoqx said:

I wasn;t really interested per se, but if you where close i would have just gone round and helped you.

lol well, if you really wanted to know, in PC (if you live close by it, you know where it is).

Well, I tried what you all suggested and I had no luck still.

zapoqx said:
lol well, if you really wanted to know, in PC (if you live close by it, you know where it is).

Well, I tried what you all suggested and I had no luck still.

I dont get it you can see them but not access them? Is that what Im getting out of this?

Also, you never did mention if the account you are trying to access them is an administrators account or not.

Good luck,

Mike A!

zapoqx said:
Don't worry, I have access to them. It allows me to go in Owner's folder because some how, anywhere else that My Document button is accessible, it goes to that user folder. Its just in the my computer it doesn't have My Documents anymore unlesss I'm in another folder where it shows on the side My Documents. Check it below on the image.

Ahhh, disreagrd my previous post, I reread your listing here and now it makes sense. So its not that you lost access to the files, but rather that the association for your "my documents" folder is gone, Ill have to do some digging,...

Mike A!

So Mike, did you ever find out the info? The only thing I can think of is to change everything associated to Owner to my new screen. But checking the registry... there is WAY too many owner locations and I don't want to mess around with registry.

EDIT: Oh and I am of course the admin of the computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back