My Desktop Does not Reboot When my External Drive is Connected

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi. My desktop was working fine until today when I had connected my external 120G usb drive. Before even if the usb drive was connected reboot was smooth but now I noticed that during boot up my screen stays black and stays there and it won't even reach safe mode when my usb external drive is connected. I have to press reset to re-start the pc. if i disconnect the external usb drive the pc boots up fine. what could be wrong? :dead:

Sounds to me that the computer is trying to boot from the external drive. Check your BIOS and make sure Hard Drive 1 is set to boot first. Also if there is an option to boot from a USB device make sure it's disabled.

I had a similar issue with USB sticks, since I use SATA I was able to (in my BIOS at least) set the first boot device as SCSI and the issue disappeared.

Ok. I will check my BIOS but I have not changed any settings there. I'll post what will happen. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back