My design in IE

Having a problem with a design i'm working on.. have decided to have a stab at using CSS.

Here is the site:
http://www.mdsalih.com/index2.php

Now, I've been trying to make the design work in both IE and Firefox, however, once I fix something in either, it'll break it in the other. At the moment, as can be seen above, I have it working perfect (the front page) in Firefox but its broken in IE.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong exactly? Thanks.

MdSalih

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
what types of positioning are you using, thats 'hella' b0rk

sweet design though in proper browsers

btw
Use only allowed characters for class and id: Class and id names can only consist of the characters [A-Za-z0-9] and hyphen (-), and they cannot start with a hyphen or a digit

I think you have one or two with underscores in there. which isnt legal, though thinking about it I have used it before in one design I did a while ago, I should probably remove them and see if it fixes things

am assuming that #container goes around just about all the page content like the header and everything else. you might want to use more absolute positioning instead of relative. Interesting thing I have noticed though is that if you nest absolute positioning elements they will position themselves inside the parent element, so its absolute relative to the parent as opposed to the page itself.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated - will have a shot and messing with that to fix it up alittle.

Have changed the DOCTYPE to strict and that appears to have made a huge difference, now to work out the small little things.

MdSalih

jimi_81

OSNN Senior Addict
Political User
yes, its great!
i really like it (in firefox)

i checked out the css file... display abolute always gives me nightmares.
i try to avoid and thats probably why i cant make anything nearly as good as that!

:)

good luck

Thanks guys :)

Lee - thanks for the heads up. hmm.. Opera... hmm.. not too worried about that 0.4% of the hits are Opera.. if i get time.. I'll see if i can fix it up for Opera. Firefox and IE are my main targets.

MdSalih

Xie

- geek -
Nice looking site man. It looks great in Mozilla. :) Is it possible to make a different css file for IE since it hates standards, and would make it easier for you to support both FF and IE?

Nice! The site looks awesome! :up: (although it is completely b0rked in IE)
(By the way, how come I'm the only one with a last name under the Friends section? :p)

Yep, validation is an idea.. i'll get around to that eventually :p

Given the fact that even if its all valid IE will still find a way to mess it up, its not my largest concern at the moment.

I've now managed to get the site working in Firefox and IE - but it appears its only working correctly in my house :p - everyone else I ask to have a look at it with IE 6 sp2 seems to see it all messed up - I have no idea whats up with that (cleared history and all that)

Would be nice if some more people could check it out, post up some screen shots if possible.

Thanks.

MdSalih

Eagle710

OSNN Senior Addict
Well not bad in Mozilla..... but those errors the gonads shows are very crazy not using valid XHTML lol..... its alright its easy just take some time.

jimi_81

OSNN Senior Addict
Political User
in IE it almost looks like the absolute positioning is placing things starting from the center of the screen.

hmm

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
MdSalih said:
Yep, validation is an idea.. i'll get around to that eventually :p

Given the fact that even if its all valid IE will still find a way to mess it up, its not my largest concern at the moment.

I've now managed to get the site working in Firefox and IE - but it appears its only working correctly in my house :p - everyone else I ask to have a look at it with IE 6 sp2 seems to see it all messed up - I have no idea whats up with that (cleared history and all that)

Would be nice if some more people could check it out, post up some screen shots if possible.

Thanks.

MdSalih

Here be screeny from IE6 SP2:

Last edited:

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
Changing your Doctype to XHTML would help with a lot of your errors, you have HTML 4.01 designated, but you are using xml attributes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut