My CPU is working incorrectly

LeaRSi

OSNN Newbie
First of all I would like to appolgise if I post this in the wrong forum, since I find this post fitting here and in OC.

I bought a Computer 2 Years ago, P4 2.26GHz, like any person I checked the computer to see if it was working correctly and all, and my bad mistake was checking the speed of my CPU in the dxdiag, which showed 2.26GHz.

After a year+ I found out my CPU was working as 1.69GHz, as anyone would have done, I called the store and they said I had to bring my Computer with the recite...(which I have no idea where it is after a year...).

To cut things short, I would liked to know if:
I could OC my CPU to work as it should, at 2.26GHz instead of 1.69GHz?
Or
I could "fix" my CPU to work as it should?

My System Spec's, taken from SysInfo are:
System Manufacturer D850MV
System Model MV85010A
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~1694 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. MV85010A.86A.0011.P05.0111141737, 14/11/2001

Edit:
Spec's taken from DxDiag:
System Manufacturer: D850MV
System Model: MV85010A
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
/Edit.
Thanks in Advance.
LeaRSi.

welcome to OSNN LeasRSi! :)

surprised you do not have an answer yet - maybe it is weekend slowdown time!

I cannot talk about Intel, because I am an AMD man, but from the AMD side I have an XP3000+ and when I got it was curious why clock speed was set at 2.167 GHz and not nearer 3 - of course this is because AMD rank their chips by "performance" rather than clock cycle. I guess the same coudl nto be true of Intel or in this case, since you mention measuring initially? Did you use same util to measure when machine was new?

I wonder how you noticed and what had happened inbetween? Did you change any BIOS settings? Is it worth returning to default BIOS settings? I would (if I were you) leave the store out of it for now.... chances are this can be put right....

Last thought - is there any chance the system you bought was already overclocked? If so it would be easy for things to accidentally get reset to normal, so to speak...

First of all, thanks for the warm welcoming.

Secondly, I have check my motherboard's settings on some sites, and found out that they(the serie) don't support more then 2GHz. but I am sure that OC can fix that...right?

As for the BIOS settings, no I didn't change anything, I tryed to change but the options were locked...INTEL recently (about 3-2monthes ago) released updates to their BIOSes, but for some reason I cannot even find my motherboard on INTEL's site, just in the "Identifing your BIOS", that is the only place it is mentioned.

I found a BIOS update to a similar motherboard from a serie which is almost identical, but I am afraid to use it.

Go to www.cpuid.com and download CPU-Z. That will give you the proper low down on your cpu. If your system was listed at 2.26, then it should be running at that. Unless it was an OC'd system when you bought it and something has changed since you got it. Once you get the proper id on the cpu, go to www.intel.com and look up what speed the chip should be running. I am going to find more info on your system and see what I can find out!

Check this page out:

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d850emv2/sb/CS-008889.htm

You need to figure out which of these 4 boards you have.

From the page above you will have access to all the newest BIOS and driver updates. There is quite a bit of info available there. I hope that helps you out. Holler, if you need anything else.

Well, as I already said, it is, and was, 1.69GHz...
My Computer says:
"Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz
1.69 GHz, 512MB of Ram"

So did CPUid, so did every program.
My Motherboard, or BIOS doesn't support 2.26GHz, It supports to max of 2GHz.
Now I have no idea what to do.

As for the BIOS Updates, I already downloaded the update but I am not sure that I downloaded the correct one since "BLKD850EMV2, KD850EMV2PAK10" and "BULKD850EMVR" are almost identical and I know it's one of them because I didnt have LAN intergrated. Now, if I open my PC where can I see the assembly number or the model I have?

From what I could gather from the Intel site, the BIOS upgrade is for all versions of the 850 line, also the CPU support says it does indeed support the 2.26Ghz CPU. There should be a label similar to the one shown on this page, http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d850emv2/sb/CS-008889.htm
that will tell exactly which board you have. Since you have no built in LAN, it does narrow it down to the 1st or 3rd board.

Good Luck Learsi!
Hope Can can fix that so when I PWN you on Gunbound u won't cry...

have you got the Front Side Bus (FSB) multiplier set right?

in the BIOS there is a setting that will usually say FSB or Front Side Bus speed. If the 2.26Ghz is a 533Mhz FSB CPU, then you would need to set it at 133 (or does Intel say 266?) If it's a 400Mhz FSB, it would need to be @ 100.

Okay, I checked my BIOS settings and it was as follows:
"BIOS Version MV85010A.86A.0011.P05
Processor Intel(R) Pentium 4
Processor 1.70GHz
System Bus Speed 400MHz
..."
The three dots represt a continues that has no meaning, like RAM and Time, now I forgot to mention it but I CANNOT change anything in my BIOS, everything locked...
That means I cannot change the 400MHz to 100 as the post above said...
Maybe if I download the BIOS update it will get unlocked, but that's unlikely, or maybe it is.

Anyway, if someone please help me to select which of the following ones is the drivers I need I would be greatful.

Another thing, if I install the wrong drivers, will my PC still boot or I should find the right ones before installing?

Well if I remember correctly Intel CPU's use a thermal FSB throddling to correct/prevent heat. Could it be possible that the CPU is getting too warm so the CPU is underclocking to compensate?

Well, I tried to update my BIOS and successed but nothing changed, I still can't change my FSB.

As for Over Heating, well...my original speed should be 2.26 which means that it over heats above 2.26...no?

So, can I OC the speed or it will stay the same? if yes can you please provide me a link to a guide or explantion?

Thank you.

The problem is the FSB, when you are running at 400FSB giving actually 100MHz * 17 multiplier = 1.7GHz, whereas if your FSB was 533 [133] * 17 = 2.26. You need to change the FSB setting. If your BIOS is completely locked from any changes, well you cant really do anything then.

LeaRSi said:
Well, I tried to update my BIOS and successed but nothing changed, I still can't change my FSB.

As for Over Heating, well...my original speed should be 2.26 which means that it over heats above 2.26...no?

So, can I OC the speed or it will stay the same? if yes can you please provide me a link to a guide or explantion?

Thank you.
Well OverClocking your PC is not the answer to the problem. Your CPU speed was correct at one time and now it is different. So you need to determine what has changed since it was last reported correctly. OC'in the comp may make things even worse.

So lets use the process of eleimination^sp. Lets either confirm or prove false that overheating is the problem. Open up that case, clean it really good, shut it down for 30 min., then with the case open fire it back up and see what your bios is say the temp is. (might even be a really good idea to remove the CPU heatsink and fan, clean it, apply some AS5 and remount the heatsink, maybe your heatsink is no long making good contact with the CPU die). Check all your fans, are they working correctly?

Try these things first before you start trying to OC the PC.

Thanks, I will try to do this stuff but one thing I don't understand...
I never said that my CPU ran @ 2.26 from the beginning (or maybe it did), I said that when I bought my computer I check my CPU Speed in the DirectX Diagnosic Programme (dxdiag) and it showed 2.26 and still does.
But if you really think it over heated I will check out all the possiblities.

Thanks.

what j97zlr seems right - all you need to do is change your fsb from 100 to 133 in the bios. if its locked, well then you can't overclock either. there has to be a way to change the fsb to 133.

Do you know what is there to bypass it? will buying new BIOS will solve the problem or the problem is somewhere else?
champ2005 said:
what j97zlr seems right - all you need to do is change your fsb from 100 to 133 in the bios. if its locked, well then you can't overclock either. there has to be a way to change the fsb to 133.

It sounds like you are running a Pentium 4 2.26GHz processor but your motherboard doesn't support it. In dxdiag, it tells you what your processor is, not what it is running at. More than likely you've always been running at 1.7GHz and didn't know it. If it's locked in the CMOS and flashing the bios won't help, then it looks like the only way to fix it is to get a new motherboard, which most likely is not worth it.

OR you could try downloading SoftFSB and changing the FSB while in Windows. No guarantees though.

Yep, just checked the doc's on the 850MV Intel chipset, it is a 400MHz FSB board, your only option would be to buy a new motherboard.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back