My council is conterfitting DVDs. What can I do?

pluto

OSNN Addict
Today I learned from one of my friends that he has found out that the council of my area is counterfitting DVDs. He knows quite a bit about computers and knows more than me about networks and knows how to find stuff and what not.

One of my other friends found out that one of the administrators at my school looks up a lot of useless sites like miniclip through his bluetooth connection on his phone.

Im really pissed off at this as council taxes in my area have risen and to find out that the network for the council is used for illegal activities makes it worse.

Would my friend get into trouble for finding this out? he knows how to get on the council servers and a lot of passwords. I genuinely believe him about this.

What should we do?

well I think saying the entire council is at it, is perhaps enough.
Perhaps use anonymous mail somehow to threaten him !!

Would the police take this seriously? or should I contact some organisation that deals with counterfitting?

I am sure they would take it seriously - they have to, it's their job, as long as you go about it in a serious mannter, but what kind of proof do you have?

Electronic Punk said:
I am sure they would take it seriously - they have to, it's their job, as long as you go about it in a serious mannter, but what kind of proof do you have?
Hmm, I want to tell the police about this.

We have no proof, my friend would have to actually show the police the DVD images on the computers which would mean going back to the council place where he was [he was there for work experience] or he might be able to from the school.

I cant remember all the details of what he said, I will discuss more with him tomorrow. He even knows the ICTO of the council too and is possibly involved.

Should I contact a anti-counterfitting organisation? I dont of any in Britain.

So the only proof you have is your buddy that found out by hacking into there network?

Dubbin1 said:
So the only proof you have is your buddy that found out by hacking into there network?
This isnt a joking matter. My 'buddy' did not hack into any network, he found out the login details of the council server. Wether you think he was wrong or not logging in the network unauthorised, he has found out that the council are corrupted in another way.

Hmm, I kind of thought I would of recieve more helpful replies.

It's a tough situation and the fact that you have evidence that was obtained illegally, would make it useless.

This isnt a joking matter. My 'buddy' did not hack into any network, he found out the login details of the council server. Wether you think he was wrong or not logging in the network unauthorised, he has found out that the council are corrupted in another way.

Hmm, I kind of thought I would of recieve more helpful replies.

I wasnt joking at all. I was trying to get a point across.

Electronic Punk said:
It's a tough situation and the fact that you have evidence that was obtained illegally, would make it useless.
Is it the part that he logged in unauthorised that makes the evidence illegal?

Is there no way around that? If not would it still be possible to tell the police anonymously?

Hmm, Ill try and think of a way and we will try and get something done.

I think the best chance of going about this is for your friend to get a proper job in the council and somehow get authority to use the network. THEN report it.
There's no short cuts in such situations as this, it takes time and effort to get all the evidence before the next step can be taken.
Kinda like undercover surveillance. :)

pluto said:
Is it the part that he logged in unauthorised that makes the evidence illegal?

Is there no way around that? If not would it still be possible to tell the police anonymously?

Hmm, Ill try and think of a way and we will try and get something done.
Call Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111. :p
You stay anonomous on that.

(Make sure you use a payfone that's not in your own borough just as backup)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back