My Cd-rom Doesn't Work At All.

V

veronica

This is after I used the restore CD because a file was missing. I was

prompted to use the restore CD. What do I do?? Thanks.

Try going to the device manager, find the cd rom & uninstall it. Reboot. XP should pick it up & reinstall it for you.

Hipster Doofus said:
Try going to the device manager, find the cd rom & uninstall it. Reboot. XP should pick it up & reinstall it for you.
I did this. It said the program may not work.

It doesn't work.

I also got all the updates for XP for anything that would affect it, like drivers.

Thanks for trying. Anyone have any suggestions.

so you can't see the cdrom icon in your "my computer" window ?

is the pc a new one, cos when i got my new one, i had a DVD rom and a CDRW drive... the guys put the drives as the same master slave or something like that... that cause my burner not to work... this mite b a prb.

81135615A said:
is the pc a new one, cos when i got my new one, i had a DVD rom and a CDRW drive... the guys put the drives as the same master slave or something like that... that cause my burner not to work... this mite b a prb.
I don't have a DVD-Rom.

Sazar said:
so you can't see the cdrom icon in your "my computer" window ?
Is that when you click on 'My Computer'??

If so, I can't remember ever seeing it.

I have XP. Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Open the control panel/administration tools/computer management/storage/disk management.

See if your cd rom is there. If so assign it a drive letter that is not in use.

Hipster Doofus said:
Open the control panel/administration tools/computer management/storage/disk management.

See if your cd rom is there. If so assign it a drive letter that is not in use.
I looked in there. It is not in there. Thanks for trying.

What do I do now??

There are 2 other things in there that also do not work.

I also used the 'Install New Hardware Wizard'.

If it is not in there try opening the case & reseating the cables at both ends. The IDE cable & the power cable. Maybe the restore upset it. I had a modem disappear one time. All I was doing was setting up a fax program. Had to take the modem out, reseat it & it was back. Weird.

What are the other two non working things?

Hipster Doofus said:
If it is not in there try opening the case & reseating the cables at both ends. The IDE cable & the power cable. Maybe the restore upset it. I had a modem disappear one time. All I was doing was setting up a fax program. Had to take the modem out, reseat it & it was back. Weird.

What are the other two non working things?
Multimedia Audio controller. SM Bus controller and the CD-RW.

Thanks for the replies.

With the cd rom do you get any error messages?

Check Microsoft out.

With the other two things it may be software that the mother board needs but if you don't use the audio contoller or need the bus contoller don't worry about it.

I have two exclamation marks in my device manager. Both are for components on the board that I don't need or use. I just leave them alone. No need to load the software for my use.

There are no drivers required for a CD. It's built into windows now. So if you don't see it in my computer the CMOS Ram settings in bios may be hosed.

When the computer starts booting you see a test screen that lists HD and CD's. The screen passes quickly so you have to watch closely. If the CDrom is not listed your CMOS settings may have gotten corrupted on the MB.

When first booting press the del or F1 key (it varies by MB). Try del first.

The screen will go black and then an old fashion menu will appear usually blue with white text. The first menu item on the upper left is where you tell your computer how to find your HD and CD's, floppies, set clock etc. All four drives on that menu should be set to "Auto Detect". If it's not, set it to Auto Detect, save your changes and reboot to see if the drive is detected now.

Before you try the following look at the different options on the menu screens and write them down. You may have to set some up by hand again. The MB manual will explain how and what each setting does.

If the auto detect did not work try selecting Restore Defaults on the Bios menu, save and exit.

If Restore defaults didn't work the last step would be to try and reset the CMOS RAM that stores bios setup information. There is a small plastic clip on 2 pins of a three pin connector sticking up off the MB. With power off move the jumper to the other side of the connector count to 30 and put it back where it was. Now reboot.

Restoring bios defaults or resetting CMOS RAM may kill some advanced features of your MB. Make sure you have access to the manual or another computer to get back here for help if that happens.

Also post your motherboard part number and bios maker (award, AMI, Phoenix, etc.) We can go find an on-line copy of the manual or one close to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back