My board? Maybe my drive?

J

Jahya

I have a Maxtor 40 gig ATA 100 as my primary drive w/ Win XP Pro on it. I'm not sure if this problem is an indicator of my drive going bad or if it is some other issue...but here's what happened.

About a week ago I removed a Linux Partition using Partition Magic 8 from my secondary drive, a Western Digital 20 gig ATA 66, and took the extra space and added it to an existing partition on that drive. Everything went fine, Partition Magic required several reboots to complete the process and I was all set. Since then I rebooted a couple times with no issue.

Then yesterday, I shut my computer down b/c I needed to cut the power to that part of the house so I could do some electrical work to replace a light fixture that was no longer working. I did my job, and switched the power back on. The light worked, there were no fires or any other mishaps, so I went to turn my computer back on. This is what happened, it began its normal boot process, checked my floppy for boot record, checked cd-rom, no boot record there and then it gets to my drive and instead of booting into windows I got this:

99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99

...and then it stopped. I tried to boot again, same thing. I inserted my XP disc and tried to repair it, no luck. So I resigned to formatting. Once formatted I was able to install XP w/ no errors and since then everything seems fine. My system in general seems to be good as new. But I know from past experience, what seems good and is actually good can be two very different things....so I thought I would find out what any of you might know...

I guess I should mention that the drive is about 1 1/2 years old and has never given me any problems before and I also ran chkdsk and it found no errors. As for mny mobo, I have no clue atm (I'm at work), its an AMD Athalon 750mhz chipset w/ 256 meg ram. I'll have to post the board specs later when I get home....

Any thoughts, suggestions, help, advice, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

I don't think it's the drive. It was probably just your boot sector getting messed up.

I think you should format and reinstall.

That's what he did:

Once formatted I was able to install XP w/ no errors and since then everything seems fine. My system in general seems to be good as new.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back