My Bios Won't recover!!!!!!

rusalka_tim

OSNN Junior Addict
Motherboard is ASUS p4c800-e dlx. p4:3.2@3.51

Video card: Radeon 9800 pro.

RAn pcmark05 and it rebooted my computer. Went to bios settings to fine tune OC settings and pressed f-10. Computer restarted. said checksum error pressed f-1 to get to settings. Screen said please wait... after going blank. Then froze. I reset and no video feed. Went to use jumpers to clear cmos and it won't even boot up now.:dead: But when you set cmos to norm on the jumpers it won't give any video feed.:rolleyes:

Anyone out there that can help? It would be much appreciated.

Try unplugging the power from the motherboard, removing the video card, then clearing the CMOS, then put the video card back in and plug the power back in. Then restart.

just reset the cmos look for the jumper setting in your mobo book.

Well I have tried with the jumper and that was stated in the original message. As far as the first reply will try that I did try removing the vid card and to no avail as of yet.:speechless:

remove the power and then the cmos batter and short circuit it by touching the metal with a screw driver

As of now I tried all of the above and nothing. I read at another site that someone had a similar predicament; all he did was let it run for 30 min. and it booted eventually.:lick:

themafia.69 said:
remove the power and then the cmos batter and short circuit it by touching the metal with a screw driver

Tried that and nothing.

What is really wierd about it all is when I use the junpers to reset the bios it acts like a bad power supply; in the fact that it won't even start up.

Look in your manual for the crash free BIOS thing, and get the key combination to reboot with a flash before the BIOS loads up, then reboot your PC with the cd that came with the mobo, and it will flash to the version on the cd, this is an asus feature that they use so that if you screw up*cough* you can fix it. I dont have my manual with me now, but when i can get ahold of it I can get you the key combination.

what you have is a very serious problem since the computer booted to a checksum error and thus should have already reset all bios settings to default and this would be the same as shorting the cmos battery or removing the battery for a day.

We need to know what it was that you were overclocking/

Do you have on-board video as well as agp?

you will need to remove the monitor plug and move it to the on board port on the moterboard next to the usb and com ports.

try an old pci video card.

You should remove all the hard drive cables etc... from the motherboard as well as all pci cards except video to eliminate bad interrupts.

also check that cards and ram is seated properly.

does it power up with a blank screen? Any beeps at all?

You can also turn off power and hold the page down button while turning power on. (this resets the bios but i feel it won't help since the bios recovered earlier and died.

You should be able to recover your bios using "Alt F2" putting the bios on a floppy,

http://www.asuscom.de/support/news/news.htm

I have heard reports of the boards dying after taking a new bios update and only after the bios was cleared later.

more info in this thread
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58714&page=2&pp=15
good luck

keep me updated

rusalka_tim said:
Tried that and nothing.

What is really wierd about it all is when I use the junpers to reset the bios it acts like a bad power supply; in the fact that it won't even start up.

That is normal. you only need to turn the power on and off. move the pin back and turn on the power and it would be reset.

zeke_mo said:
Look in your manual for the crash free BIOS thing, and get the key combination to reboot with a flash before the BIOS loads up, then reboot your PC with the cd that came with the mobo, and it will flash to the version on the cd, this is an asus feature that they use so that if you screw up*cough* you can fix it. I dont have my manual with me now, but when i can get ahold of it I can get you the key combination.

The key combo is alt-f2. I tried that and still nothing.

Is this an ASUS feature on the CMOS resets?

Because if you move the CMOS jumper and turn on power before you move the jumper back to the original position most motherboards will wipe the bios requiring a new bios chip.

egghead said:
what you have is a very serious problem since the computer booted to a checksum error and thus should have already reset all bios settings to default and this would be the same as shorting the cmos battery or removing the battery for a day.

We need to know what it was that you were overclocking/

Do you have on-board video as well as agp?

you will need to remove the monitor plug and move it to the on board port on the moterboard next to the usb and com ports.

try an old pci video card.

You should remove all the hard drive cables etc... from the motherboard as well as all pci cards except video to eliminate bad interrupts.

also check that cards and ram is seated properly.

does it power up with a blank screen? Any beeps at all?

You can also turn off power and hold the page down button while turning power on. (this resets the bios but i feel it won't help since the bios recovered earlier and died.

You should be able to recover your bios using "Alt F2" putting the bios on a floppy,

http://www.asuscom.de/support/news/news.htm

I have heard reports of the boards dying after taking a new bios update and only after the bios was cleared later.

more info in this thread
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58714&page=2&pp=15
good luck

keep me updated

As far as me overclocking I am using a water cooled setup coupled with a peltier on the cpu and gpu. Have run this way for about a month and no problems. The cpu peltier is run off an aux power supply. I oc'd my 94 3.2 to a 3.51. Which by all means the pletier has a qmax of 228w with a delta t of 60f. So this is more then enough cooling to handle that small of a oc.

No onboard video. The mobo is a p4c800-e dlx. No beeps even when power cord is removed from the vid card. the temps are rather nice at -1.5f on cpu and 25f on the gpu. No sign of condensation on either peltier junction. I have insulated and dielectric greased it correctly.

Don't have pci vid card to try. Tried using alt agp vid card and still same results.

LeeJend said:
Is this an ASUS feature on the CMOS resets?

Because if you move the CMOS jumper and turn on power before you move the jumper back to the original position most motherboards will wipe the bios requiring a new bios chip.

Have done this many times before with the mobo and no problem at all. Just to also let you know, I did this after the vid went out from the bios trying to reset itself.

LeeJend said:

I have done it this way with all my computers from socket 7's all the way to P4P8X - Bios upgraded to P4P800.

The above link talks about hot to update the p4p8x to p4p800 bios

p4 2.6ghzoverclocked to 3.25ghz - 800mhz fsb overclocked to 1ghz fsb

My computer specs and benchmarks here.

I will take your word on the wiped out cmos chip using "power on" and will think of that next time i upgrade. I was never really taught how to do it so i might be doing it wrong.

egghead said:
I have done it this way with all my computers from socket 7's all the way to P4P8X - Bios upgraded to P4P800.

p4 2.6ghzoverclocked to 3.25ghz - 800mhz fsb overclocked to 1ghz fsb

My computer specs and benchmarks here.

I will take your work on the wiped out cmos chip using "power on" and will think of that next time i upgrade.

I'm not questioning you or anything, I'm just letting you know that I haven't had a problem with doing that the past 5 times I had to reset the bios. The normal message that I got was bios is cleared. You may power down your computer and replace the jumpers to normal postioning. That is all It was mearly a relay of information. Again I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes.

Well dumb question, but if it comes to this; how do I get a new cmos chip for my mobo? And, how do I get the bios settings on it. New to that part of it all.

This is crazy, but I just booted up. Didn't do anything special and walla. But thank you to all the people that helped me on this problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back