my 2100+ at 666mhz

P

pwnz0r

So yea, the other day my computer just decided to NOT operate at 1733mhz anymore.

I opened up Halo and it says "Your cpu is too slow to play the game loser, upgrade then try again."

And so I checked out BIOS on my asus A7V333 (if that helps anyone) and all is fine there. But, just to be sure, I reinstalled all my drivers, including those for the cpu. Still 666mhz.

Windows is where it seemed to be registering at 666mhz so it had been a while since i reforatted, so i said why not and formatted. still doesnt work.

I'm not a religious man, but is it the devil or something?

but for real, can someone help?

--edit--
I am using Win XP
and i have 256mb of pc3200 ram

sounds like your FSB setting in your bios got f00ked. check your bios and raise the FSB of your cpu

Either the FSB or the multiplier setting got changed. The devil does this periodically by writing to the CMOS RAM that holds your BIOS setup. Or if you MB has jumpers/switches to set the FSB and multiplier one could have fallen off or got bumped.

When you boot up next time hold the Del key or whichever it is for your pc down once the the ram check starts. You will enter bios setup. Under advanced there (usually the third menu option down) there should be selection options for FSB and maybe multiplier. Set these to auto detect. If they already are you may need to set them manually.

Your fsb should be 133 (for 266) and the multiplier at 13.

Originally posted by LeeJend
Either the FSB or the multiplier setting got changed. The devil does this periodically by writing to the CMOS RAM that holds your BIOS setup. Or if you MB has jumpers/switches to set the FSB and multiplier one could have fallen off or got bumped.

When you boot up next time hold the Del key or whichever it is for your pc down once the the ram check starts. You will enter bios setup. Under advanced there (usually the third menu option down) there should be selection options for FSB and maybe multiplier. Set these to auto detect. If they already are you may need to set them manually.

Your fsb should be 133 (for 266) and the multiplier at 13.

doesnt an AMD use a fsb of 166?

AMD

Originally posted by sboulema
doesnt an AMD use a fsb of 166?

Maybe for some of the new 333FSB Barton Chips, but his Athlon XP 2100+ is only a 266/133FSB Chip

CipheR

well the fsb is at 133 and the multiplier is at 13.

a buddy of mine thinks it may be the RAM.

is that a possibility?

I'm no super tech (though I wouldn't mind being one in the future) but I don't think RAM clock or just RAM in general should change your CPU clock speed. What did you do to your system just before this happend? Any M$ updates? Bios updates?

nope, no crazy updates, certainly not BIOS updates.

so i figured maybe i screwed something up in windows, so i reformatted.

still shows 666mhz in the 'system'.

it must be something int he bios there isnt a window setting that changes your cpu speed

well the only drivers for my mobo newer than the ones i currently have require a boot disk to install. So that requires an A: drive. I dont have a floppy drive, so perhaps im fookered.

if you reformatted its gotta be a BIOS problem.. try updating it.

you can upgrade without a floppy.. burn a CD.. a 60cent cd is worth 1gh.

That might have something to do with the Asus boards. I had a problem where every time I plugged in my DVD-Rom, the cpu went from 1.83blahblah to 1400mhz. Go in the BIOS and see if you can set "performance RAM timings".

Originally posted by dubstar
you can upgrade without a floppy.. burn a CD.. a 60cent cd is worth 1gh.
or use a cdrw disc. :)

i agree. bios issue. update. good to do anyways.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back