My 2004 Element Was Totaled

Electronic Punk said:
I have no idea what either of those cars is.

Element, by Honda

element.jpg

This is the LeSabre (tizzz a wagon pic but the sedan is also "BIG")

1982_Buick_LeSabre_Estate.jpg

Best example... Fist meets Aluminum Can. Guess who wins. Fist may get a few cuts but thats it.

Electronic Punk said:
I have no idea what either of those cars is.

Well, let me put it this way. The Buick LaSabre is a fricken tank... Speaking of such things, I wonder if the lady who was driving it was an ol grany who goes for the big car "cause it offers them some protection". :eek: Only problem is, the matter of protection for all the other drivers on the road...

Front bumper on them LeSabres is of the old school "Big Ass Steel Chrome Bumper" type.

buick_lesabre_2.jpg

You're lucky it wasn't of the 1970's vintage... 'cause you would be a veggy salad.

1976 tank

000347-200410-000002big.jpg

O.K. No more scarry pictures.

Son Goku said:
Speaking of such things, I wonder if the lady who was driving it was an ol grany who goes for the big car "cause it offers them some protection". :eek: Only problem is, the matter of protection for all the other drivers on the road...
He said in first post she was 20yrs old. :p My guess would be it cost close to nothing, having nothing to do with safety.

/me hides

Xie said:
He said in first post she was 20yrs old. :p My guess would be it cost close to nothing, having nothing to do with safety.

/me hides

Yeah, he did :D Actually though, I was being half fasiscious... Anyone who has run into the lil ol granny who buys the biggest honking vehicle they can get their hands on, and yet can't drive the stupid thing will know what I'm getting at :eek:

Even worse is when their head barely appears above the stearing wheel, or in the case of one family member my parents used to laugh at, Earnie. He cocked his head about as far forward as it would go and over the stearing wheel, as he kept asking the passenger "Do you see anyone there? Is someone in front of my car?" Actually, my parents were a bit timid at the prospect of being in a car anywhere nears him, family or not...

Best guess I can make, they do it, cause the size and weight of the vehicle makes them feel safer from other drivers. The problem is, they can be a menace for anyone around them... That South Park episode, "Grey Dawn" springs to mind :laugh:

Son Goku said:
Yeah, he did :D Actually though, I was being half fasiscious... Anyone who has run into the lil ol granny who buys the biggest honking vehicle they can get their hands on, and yet can't drive the stupid thing will know what I'm getting at :eek:
Yeah. The thing is today most get caddys that are expensive tanks, and they drive them like they are. :p

Thanks for all the support, sorry i haven't been around to reply, but so much on my mind and my ribs are ****ing killing me.

Ok here's the story i was ticketed, because she had the right of way,

Story:
I was waiting to pull out from a minor road to a major road, the roads where slick because of rain, so i waited and waited, eventually all the cars passed and only this one car was left about 150 meters down the road, she already had ehr indicators/turn signal on, and she slowed down to about 10 mph i assumed she was pulling into the road i was pulling out of, but instead she kept on going, and she said she was actually pulling into a road another 70 meters up the road (what bull****), she was going to kfc, and that has two entrances, one on the road i was pulling out of, and one 70 meters up the road, (guess she got lazy and only wanted to turn once).

So anyway she side swiped my car, the front driver (left) wheel was torn off as the car skidded about 20 meters down the road, my left side of my body hit the door, with my head hitting the window, i blacked out for a second or two and broke at least one rib.

So any legal case here against her, even if I was ticketed?

oh and my car is fixable i learnt yesterday, the adjustor said it will cost 5k to fix it. with my $500 deductible.

going to be hard to get anything , if the ticket says you were in the wrong. You can expect your insurance rates to rise... sorry.:cry:

Tells me to think about getting an element. I was getting ready to buy a black one in within the next two months .. Sorry to hear about it duder ..

As for the blue haired lady. I know all about that one. I can't tell you how many times a blue haired old bag in a buik drove out in front of me to only go 20 mph. When they do that, and the first passing zone comes, I get right up on their back bumber and give them a little bump and run.

lancer said:
Thanks for all the support, sorry i haven't been around to reply, but so much on my mind and my ribs are ****ing killing me.

Ok here's the story i was ticketed, because she had the right of way,

Story:
I was waiting to pull out from a minor road to a major road, the roads where slick because of rain, so i waited and waited, eventually all the cars passed and only this one car was left about 150 meters down the road, she already had ehr indicators/turn signal on, and she slowed down to about 10 mph i assumed she was pulling into the road i was pulling out of, but instead she kept on going, and she said she was actually pulling into a road another 70 meters up the road (what bull****), she was going to kfc, and that has two entrances, one on the road i was pulling out of, and one 70 meters up the road, (guess she got lazy and only wanted to turn once).

So anyway she side swiped my car, the front driver (left) wheel was torn off as the car skidded about 20 meters down the road, my left side of my body hit the door, with my head hitting the window, i blacked out for a second or two and broke at least one rib.

So any legal case here against her, even if I was ticketed?

oh and my car is fixable i learnt yesterday, the adjustor said it will cost 5k to fix it. with my $500 deductible.

You try to fight the ticket first if you can for sure show that her turn signal was on prior to the road/street you were emerging from. And also if you can prove that she was indeed slowing down. You could even say that she was starting to move to the corner in an attempt to turn and then changed her mind. If you can get the ticket reversed then you can go after her. You would have a better case if there were witnesses. The only problem is the cost of going to court, but if you are completely sure of what you say is what happened, then it could be worth it. You could also say that she was x amount of meters away and that you saw her put on her signal to turn and that you waited until she comminted to what looked like her starting to move over for the turn and as soon as you began to pull out she straightened out and kept going.

i know it sucks but unless you have other witnesses of your side of the story then you are pretty much stuck with that ticket. In my own expeirce i had a dumbsh*t 16 year old slam on her brakes in rain to make a 90 degree unprotected turn turn on a 55 mph road. I hydroplaned about 20 feet right int the back of her. Totaled out my car scrached her back and messed up her bumper. I of course got the ticket and with liability only, lost a car. I was going to fight the ticket but was pretty much told by a lawyer that unless i had a witness to the accident it was going to stick with me. So yah.. oh and 3 months later she sued my insurance company (allstate bastards) and won for whiplash or somethinG.

Well, the problem is two fold. One you were ticketed, which means the officer on the scene saw you as being in the wrong. That in itself counts against you unless you can get this reversed.

Second, if it were to go to court (especially given the above), it could well turn into your word against hers, case dismissed. Without witnesses, they'd look at the ticket and likely take your indications about her turn signal as hear say :( In the end (and without witnesses) it could turn into your word against hers... It doesn't help that she was on a major road, and you were initially stopped on a small side road...

All this said, people who turn on their signals and keep going can be a royal pain in the arse. The signal is supposed to alert other drivers to "I'm turning", not be used as "I say I'm turning, but I won't for another quarter mile or something". I've seen some people who never seem to turn them off, honk at them on turn my signal on and then off, and they don't get the hint. About 2 miles down the road they switch to the other blinker, change lanes, and turn the other way :laugh:

You really are going to need witnesses on this one. Sorry, probably not what you want to hear while in such pain and all; but without someone elses testimony to colloborate your own, there really isn't much to convince a judge/jury that the cop's assesement was wrong and the other driver was really at fault...

lancer said:

Just because someone has a turn signal on you can not assume they are going to turn and until they do actually turn they still have the right of way.

This is from the driver guide for my state and I bet others are the same:
Never assume another driver will share space with you or give you space. For example, do not turn just because an approaching vehicle has a turn signal on. The driver may plan to turn after they pass your vehicle or may have forgotten to turn the signal off from a prior turn. This is particularly true of motorcycles because their signals often do not cancel by themselves.

ok well she actually admitted to the cops on the scene she had her signal on, but said she was turning on another road 30 meters on.

Also my wife works with the chief court administrator, the persons that runs the court system her, and he said he would back us up, my wife personally knows all the judges in the system by first name, and our friend has known them all since she was a baby, i couldn't really be more connected. Do you think this would work in my favor?

also anyone else had a broken rib and know how long it takes to get over?

lancer said:
didnt the doctor tell you how long....:suprised:

lancer said:
I've no idea myself so here is from a forum from someone that asked a similiar question ...
1. How long should it take for the ribs to fully heal and return to full strength ? (I am 42)

I trashed my Triumph Daytona into a guardrail in the Great Smokies two years ago failing to negotiate a decreasing radius curve. I broke four ribs on my left side. It hurt like a bitch. Getting out of bed in ther AM was a religious experience. My experience is that it takes a LONG time to heal since there is no way to splint the injury. You have to breathe and every time you breathe you work the intercostal muscles and they spasm. I do believe it was three months before I was relatively pain free and 6 months before I could sleep on my left side. Application of cold or heat didn't help. It was just tincture of time.
2. Is there anything I can do to speed the process?

No.

lancer said:
ok well she actually admitted to the cops on the scene she had her signal on, but said she was turning on another road 30 meters on.

Also my wife works with the chief court administrator, the persons that runs the court system her, and he said he would back us up, my wife personally knows all the judges in the system by first name, and our friend has known them all since she was a baby, i couldn't really be more connected. Do you think this would work in my favor?

If you have any outstanding favors... collect. NOW

Seriously, It couldn't hurt. Remember they use to be lawyers. Have a sit down with one of them and ask them what you can do. Give them a full detailed discription of the entire event of the accident. Then see what they say.

gonaads said:
Front bumper on them LeSabres is of the old school "Big Ass Steel Chrome Bumper" type.

buick_lesabre_2.jpg

You're lucky it wasn't of the 1970's vintage... 'cause you would be a veggy salad.

I know you're a mechanic - have you seen the 2005 Le Sabre Custom?

05.gif

I've been driving one for two weeks now - very soft ride but when I slam on the breaks the car just lurches foward with all the momentum that is carrying it. What do you think of 'em? It's a friend's car - his grandfather bought it and then died a few months after ;) I have a choice to drive it for another few weeks and buy it or give it back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back