MX700 won't charge

Zedric

NTFS Guru
My trusty old MX700 is starting to act strangely. Last night, I was going to charge it (which is tricky on a good day thanks to the cradle construction). Anyway, instead of the red flashing led turning green, it just started to flash faster, still in red. Wtf? I tried it a couple of times and the same thing happened each time. I even tried it with the computer off (which should still charge the mouse), but with the same result. So it seems I cannot charge the mouse anymore. Has anyone seen this happen before? I can't find any info on it on the net.

After time the "prongs" on the base get pushed back slightly and when the mouse is in the base it isn't making contact. Gently (using a tool of some sort) to pull them back out. This should correct your problem.

If the prongs aren't pushed back make sure the contacts are clean. A new pencil erase rubbed on them will take off any oxide build up.

The worst case it that the battery is shot. Rechargeables have a limited life. Depending on usage they can last from 1-5 years.

http://www.gadgetspage.com/pc-peripheral/logitech-mx700-review.html

Seems you're in luck. It is supposed to use standard AA NiMH batteries. $5 bucks to replace. Before you do a replacement try the cleaning trick on the battery terminals inside too. Do not use Alkaline they can explode if you try and charge them. Do not use Nicd either.

I have the same problem. I think my batteries are getting weak. I can take batteries out and exchange places. works fine for a few days, then have to do it again.

It's not the contact pads, it acctually flashes faster when I put the mouse in, so it detects the dock. It just flashes red quickly instead of green slowly. I take that as contact being established, but there's some other (seemingly undocumented) error.

Anyways, I ran the mouse dry untill it just died. Then I put it in the dock (pretty much to get it off the desk while I fetched a spare mouse). And guess what? It charges! :eek: Wth? I guess I get another chance, let's see if it's the same next time it runs out of juice...

The worst case it that the battery is shot. Rechargeables have a limited life. Depending on usage they can last from 1-5 years.

http://www.gadgetspage.com/pc-peripheral/logitech-mx700-review.html

Seems you're in luck. It is supposed to use standard AA NiMH batteries. $5 bucks to replace. Before you do a replacement try the cleaning trick on the battery terminals inside too. Do not use Alkaline they can explode if you try and charge them. Do not use Nicd either.

That thought crossed my mind too. It's 1700mAh batteries, but I don't think they're giving 1700mAh by far anymore. ;) I have som new 2300mAh batteries for my camera, I might use those for a while.

(Still using the 1700's though, and it's charging right now)

I put 2000mAh batteries in mine when I finally decided to change mine 2 months ago. It wouldn't last 2 days without a charge by that point. And now its back to a week on a charge. Although now I cant install the software for the keyboard and mouse because I am using 64-bit windows. Maybe time to replace both, or go with the old wired compaq keyboard I have.

I put 2000mAh batteries in mine when I finally decided to change mine 2 months ago. It wouldn't last 2 days without a charge by that point. And now its back to a week on a charge. Although now I cant install the software for the keyboard and mouse because I am using 64-bit windows. Maybe time to replace both, or go with the old wired compaq keyboard I have.

Sounds like you may not have allowed the batteries to drain down all the way before putting the batteries back in the charger...

same thing applies to phones, if you dont let the batteries go almost dead, you get bad "memory" for your charges, and the device thinks it is out of juice long before it actually is... this just happened with a friend of mine who bought a new RAZR Vm

Sounds like you may not have allowed the batteries to drain down all the way before putting the batteries back in the charger...

same thing applies to phones, if you dont let the batteries go almost dead, you get bad "memory" for your charges, and the device thinks it is out of juice long before it actually is... this just happened with a friend of mine who bought a new RAZR Vm

I had been using the same batteries for 3 or 4 years. I had been letting the battereis drain completely, but they will only last so long. The keyboard is still using the origonal batteries.

Just to be clear; this only applies to NiMH batteries (and other Ni* rechargable batteries). It is not true for Li-Ion or LiPo batteries. Li* batteries should never be complete discharged and will not retain memory. Just recharge then when you feel like it, as much as you feel like.

NiMH: Complete drain, complete charge
LiPo: Don't drain, charge whenever

Actually Nimh suffer no memory footprint, they do however lose charge over the course of time. The Old lithium ion batteries had a significant footprint, but these have been improved over time. Most phones run on lithium ion batteries, as these have better leak properties than the Nimh.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back