Music Labels Seek Lower Royalty Rate

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Political Access
I think this is totally ridiculous the things the music labels do (or try to do). Here is another example of their idiocy..

http://www.radioandrecords.com/radi...article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003466905

Record labels are asking a panel of copyright judges to lower the rate they pay music publishers and songwriters for the use of the lyrics and melodies with which they create sound recordings.

The current rate is out of touch with reality, the RIAA argued for the labels in papers filed with the Copyright Royalty Judges. The rate hasn't been adjusted by the government since 1981. Meanwhile, the labels, songwriters and music publishers have been able to make a deal.

The music industry has undergone such fundamental changes, the RIAA contends, that it's time for the government to step in.

"While record companies and music publishers were able to agree on royalty rates during that 25-year period, the assumptions on which those decisions were based have changed beyond recognition," the RIAA said.

During the period when piracy was devastating the record industry, the RIAA argues, profits for publishers rose as revenue generated from ringtones and other innovative services grew. Record industry executives said there was nothing strange about seeking a rate change that would pay less to the people who write the music.

"Mechanical royalties currently are out of whack with historical and international rates," RIAA executive vp and general counsel Steven Marks said. "We hope the judges will restore the proper balance by reducing the rate and moving to a more flexible percentage rate structure so that record companies can continue to create the sound recordings that drive revenues for music publishers."

The price of CDs is also out-of-touch with reality. :rolleyes:

RIAA = suck

Let's forget teh fact that they screwed a lot of claasic entertainers out of royalties years ago, and that when they reissue compilations they don';t have to pay more royalties, for songs already in their catalog.

Really, can these people get any more greedy? They should just partner with Sony and like Speedy wrote "...just move into the personal harm market..." What else is there left that is despicable and they have'nt accomplished?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back