Music Industry to Die Soon

N

neo1980

The Year The Music Dies

Record labels are under attack from all sides - file sharers and performers, even equipment manufacturers and good old-fashioned customers - and it's killing them. A moment of silence, please.

By Charles C. Mann

Not long before his sudden death from a heart attack, I saw Timothy White at a party in Boston, standing by the bar in his usual bow tie and white bucks. When he waved me over, I was delighted: Timothy was not only the editor of Billboard but a respected music critic and biographer. Even the executives he often took to task conceded, with a wince, that he understood the secretive, confusing business better than almost anyone. "How much you want to bet that the entire music industry collapses?" he asked me. "And I mean soon - like five, ten years. Kaboom!"

Truth is, it may happen even sooner. This year could determine whether the music business as we know it survives.

In the first six months of 2002, CD sales fell 11 percent - on top of a 3 percent decline the year before. Sales of blank CDs jumped 40 percent last year, while the users of Kazaa, the biggest online file-trading service, tripled in number. Meanwhile, the labels' new legitimate online music services attracted fewer paying customers than the McDonald's in Times Square.

As recently as 10 years ago, the media conglomerates that own record labels regarded them as cash cows - smaller than Hollywood but more reliably profitable. Now all five major labels are either losing money or barely in the black, and the industry's decline is turning into a plunge. In the next year, whether together or separately, the labels will have to set about totally reinventing the way they do business, a horribly difficult task for any institution.

To leap the hurdles posed by digital technology, the industry must find a way to make money selling downloaded music on a per-track basis, allow in-store CD burning, slash recording costs with cheap software and hardware, and change artists' contracts to reflect the new economic reality. Doing any one of these will be next to impossible. Doing all of them would be one of the more amazing turnarounds in business history.

The record labels blame piracy for their woes. And they're right - in part. Before writing this paragraph, I logged on to Kazaa. At 10 on a Monday morning, hardly peak time, 3.1 million people were on the network - more simultaneous users than Napster ever had in its heyday.

At least a hundred copies of every song on the Billboard Hot 100 were available for download. So were 13 out of 15 tracks on Mariah Carey's new CD, which wouldn't hit stores for another three weeks. And that's not even counting the discs sold on every street corner from the Bronx to Beijing.

The industry rightly believes that if it can make file-swapping more difficult, and legitimate online services easier and less expensive, it can turn the kids on Kazaa into paying customers. Pursuing this two-pronged approach, the companies are spending millions on their own Internet services (pressplay from Universal and Sony; MusicNet from BMG, EMI, and Warner), on lawyers to chase away pirates and peer-to-peer networks, and on anti-piracy ads featuring the likes of Britney Spears.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.02/dirge.html

you may want to consider SUBMITTING the news like most other people do on the homepage...

that way your news will be reviewed by a newsposter/mod/admin and if considered news worthy it will be posted on the front page in one of the headline sections or as main news...

:cool:

Boston New Years Eve Party

6th Annual Timeless 2014 - #1 Upscale NYE party in Boston Celebrate Boston new years eve party that is superior than most in Boston. Check out the u...

543056_10151165342651097_208826730_n.jpg

1.jpg

3126d1387430566-boston-new-years-eve-party-dsc_5820.jpg

3130d1387430572-boston-new-years-eve-party-407408_10151165342676097_1240680519_n.jpg

Boston New Years Eve Party - Boston's most exclusive New Years Eve 2013 Gala. For the vogue and refined, this celebration will immerse you in "Old Hollywood", with red carpet, fashion presentation, signature cocktails, professional photographer .Timeless Gala - Boston New Years, NYE 2014, New Years VIP Party

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN13NbT8x8Q"]boston new years party[/ame], [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN13NbT8x8Q"]boston new years eve[/ame], [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN13NbT8x8Q"]boston nye party[/ame], [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN13NbT8x8Q"]boston new years eve party[/ame]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back