Music Download Service

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
I am certain someone is going to ask me why I am considering this, but that doesn't matter.

I am thinking about joining a music download service. I don't want to have to download a third party app to get my music (if this is possible) or at least go with a service that has a nice app. The music must be compatible with WMP (WMA format, 192).

What's your take on the best and the advantages? Give me some feedback, thanks.

Well I'm probably way off base here but if you're talking the (new) Napster way or iTunes then I would go with iTunes. I purchase nearly all my music from iTunes (average cd is $9.99) versus $14.99 and up at the music store. Great quality, quick and easy, and have never ran into a problem (just make backups ;)).

Napster seems really off to me, sure you get access to millions of songs so your library becomes huge but once you stop you subscription they all go away.

Also, Yahoo is coming with with a service where you pay a monthly fee that basically lets you "rent" all the music you want for a month.

It's in beta right now and you can try it out for free for 7 days.

http://launch.yahoo.com/

www.allofmp3.com

a complimentary download or two...
and then its like 2 cents a song.

is that site legal i wonder?

jimi_81 said:
www.allofmp3.com

It's based in Russia so that explains the insanely cheap prices :lick:

jimi_81 said:
www.allofmp3.com

That's just ridiculous. I mean, 2 cents a song...Elvis Presley, Miles Davis, The Rolling Stones...I don't think so. Be weary.

A.) I use IE (always have, always will)
B.) The songs must be WMA format (I prefer WMP)
C.) I have a strong dislike for Apple so iTunes is out
D.) I have a strong dislike for Wal-Mart, too

Any other opinions?

my sister uses Rhapsody or something like that

personally I go with iTunes on the Mac its far better than on windows ;)

Geffy said:

What do you know? =)

Geffy said:
my sister uses Rhapsody or something like that

Not sure how you figure this, I have iTunes running on my PC as well as iBook and they function identically.

Pretty much when it comes to downloading music legally right now it's down to Napster, iTunes, Yahoo! (beta), and the rest is mainly still in the works.

There's always internet radio. ;)

If you want a subscription service, try out the Yahoo Music Unlimited beta. It's really cheap, and it's on a monthly basis, so if you don't like it, you can always stop anytime.

If you're looking at a service to buy individial songs or albums, take a look at the MSN Music Store. Great selection, good quality 192k WMA files, and it's built right into WMP10 (or you can use IE if you like).

NetRyder said:
If you want a subscription service, try out the Yahoo Music Unlimited beta. It's really cheap, and it's on a monthly basis, so if you don't like it, you can always stop anytime.

If you're looking at a service to buy individial songs or albums, take a look at the MSN Music Store. Great selection, good quality 192k WMA files, and it's built right into WMP10 (or you can use IE if you like).
Isn't that still in beta as well Netryder? Do you use it? I've not heard any reviews of it but am interested in a possible alternative to itunes.

Oh, and congrats on the successful first day. =)

mfarley said:
Isn't that still in beta as well Netryder? Do you use it? I've not heard any reviews of it but am interested in a possible alternative to itunes.
Actually, MSN Music is no longer in beta. It was until Oct 2004. I've used it quite a few times, and I also tried out the iTunes Music Store before I moved over to WMP10, and they are both very well set up and completely seamless.

It basically comes down to which media player app you prefer and what digital audio player you own, if any. People who use both PC's and Macs, and those who have iPods will want to stay away from MSN Music. People with PlaysForSure devices like the Creative Zen Micro, iRivers, Dell DJ's etc will want to stay away from iTMS.

I personally now fall into the latter category, since I prefer WMP10 and I have a Zen Micro to have my music available on-the-go. But as mentioned, I've used both services and found both of them to be very good. Planning to try out the Yahoo service sometime soon too. We'll see. :)

mfarley said:
Oh, and congrats on the successful first day. =)
Thanks! I'm having fun. ;)

mfarley said:
That's just ridiculous. I mean, 2 cents a song...Elvis Presley, Miles Davis, The Rolling Stones...I don't think so. Be weary.

They provide the songs you pay for. It is legal in Russia, and the US can't stop you from downloading the songs, as it is not illegal. You are not sharing them with anyone else :p

Works fine, bought a few songs there.

mfarley said:
Not sure how you figure this, I have iTunes running on my PC as well as iBook and they function identically.

They don't function identical. The windows version is slow, and gets on my nerves cause it is not speedy at all. Also, you can't keep it in the tray, and then alt-tab to it, and hit apple + right arrow for the next song (Or Win/alt + right arrow), also, some of the preferences only show up when an iPod is connected, which cost me over 2 hours, as i was searching for the option, without the iPod plugged in so it did not show up, while on a Mac it did.

I love itunes for the simple fact that jhym lets me take the music I buy and play it anywhere and I can send the stuff home to my mom without any hassle.

It just saves me the ripping to AAC/FLAC stepif I buy an audio CD.

Napster is great until you stop paying - none of yourt music works afterwards.

MSN Music seems ok but they dont have all that much of a catalogue and it doenst appear to be available to uk users (even though we can browse - point me in the right direction if I'm wrong).

Allof mp3.com is russian... Cheap, great and legal at the moment (they just recently weathered a trial on the issue that has prompted a review of russian copyright law)

I've been getting a bunch of free MP3 downloads from espew.com.

The only hitch is that only about have of the links seem to work, but hey, the price is right!

*This was not a paid endorsement.... well... let's just say they paid me the same amount that I pay for their service...*

joyojoy said:
I've been getting a bunch of free MP3 downloads from espew.com.

The only hitch is that only about have of the links seem to work, but hey, the price is right!

*This was not a paid endorsement.... well... let's just say they paid me the same amount that I pay for their service...*

after reading the Terms of Service I don't quite see how thats any more legal than using Morpheus, Limewire, iMesh, or any of the other peer to peer apps.

NetRyder said:

I tried MSN Music last night. Works well. I too use WMP10.

I'll take a look at Yahoo!

Thanks for the input.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back