Multiple Monitor woes

gballard

OSNN Senior Addict
I reinstalled the OS onto one of my machines tonight and added another video card to try to get the multiple monitors working on it. The first card is an NVIDIA Riva TNT2 Model 64 AGP and the second card is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 PCI. Strange thing is...when I booted the machine to begin the install....the display came up on the second card...the PCI one...and wouldn't display anything on the AGP one. So I got XP Professional Corporate edition installed and when I go to to Device Manager and check for any conflicts...I don't find any...or at least none have the yellow exclamation points on anything. I check the properties of each display adapter and they show no conflicts. I went to microsoft's website and found information about getting the multiple monitors to work and what the directions there say...I can't find on my system here....Here is what their docs said...

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.
On the Settings tab, click Identify to display a large number on each of your monitors. This shows which monitor corresponds with each icon.
Click the monitor icons and drag them to positions that represent how you want to move items from one monitor to another, and then click OK or Apply to view changes.

Well I did like it said and I don't see "Identify" on the Setting Tab

Here is the URL if any of you kind people want to see it:

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...onitor&rnk=7&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WINXP

Thanks for any insight into this problem...:)

Under your BIOS there will be an option somthing like:

First display device: PCI/AGP

Select AGP and the display will go to the AGP card first.

Well I never could find the setting in my BIOS to initialise the AGP card but my PCI card is a Inno3D nVidia GeForce 2 MX400 with 32MB of RAM on it and it came with this "ribbon"-type monitor adapater that just plugs into the card and then occupies the pci opening beside the video card. So I pulled the AGP card out and left the PCI in along with the addon for the additional monitor. I hooked a monitor up to each adapter and powered the machine back up. Low and behold...it worked...for the moment. When I logged into the box...nView popped up and let me configure the settings to have the desktop spanned across both monitors. But apparently I configured something wrong and now its not working at all. I have tried to get it going again but I am having no luck...can anyone point me in a direction here?..:(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back