Multiple Logon Prompts

pom69

OSNN Newbie
Greetings. I am the webmaster for a site where I have limited access to the server I work on (I have to VPN into a fixed location in order to make changes). This is a Windows server running IIS, but I don't know which version for certain.

On the site I work on there are two main directories. One is open to everyone, the other is used as a password protected area. I have received a few emails from people who are supposed to be set up for the password protected areas of the site who report getting multiple login prompts when trying to access portions of the site.

Without having access to their computer, what can I do to determine what could be causing the problem? I am not familiar with all of the aspects of Windows security.

Given my description above (hopefully it makes sense), are any of the following possibilities?
- user requires updates to OS and/or web browser (e.g. Windows updates)
- user's authentication set up incorrectly on server

I have noticed that some of the people that visit parts of the website (based on logging) use an HTTP Authorization of "NTLM" and others use "Negotiate". What is the difference in these? Could this be another symptom of the problem?

I hope I wasn't too vague in my description of the problem. Any help with this will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if I understand, but it looks like you are asking why they are being prompted to authenticate to get in. If that's the case, you should try to have the autentication type changed to "Integrated Windows Authentication". This will pull their already stored login credentials, and as long as their account has rights on the server, they won't be prompted.

More info here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/36ea667e-c578-43b5-87fa-a2f174efb27a.mspx

hope that helps...

They are actually getting prompted multiple times when they should only be prompted once.

well multiple times probably means they aren't typing in the correct username/password

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back