Multiple computers & select user names taking 10+ minutes to log in

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

Here at the police department we are having a new issue that is spreading to more and more machines. Originally it was isolated to one machine and has now spread to a few. When a select few users log into the machines, it takes them 10+ minutes to log in. It hangs at Applying Personal Settings. I believe this is group policy related, but in all honesty I'm not sure where to begin looking.

I don't know how much of this is related to the user's profiles. They aren't that large, and they aren't utilizing roaming profiles here, only local. There aren't any error messages on the local workstation, nor on the Domain Controller. Can you guys offer me some suggestions as to how I can further troubleshoot this issue?

if it is spreading as you say, my first impression would be a virus/and or spyware. My first inclination would be to download this.

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Update the def.

Then go into safe mode on all the machines and run a full system scan.

Next i assume you have an antivirus program right?

also run a full system scan with that as well in safemode.

if you don't have one this is a good free one to use again scan in safemode.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/avg-anti-virus-free/lng/us/tpl/v5

Have you changed anything in your network recently? does it take just as long to log into those accounts on another pc, thats isn't the users? that'll tell you a lot.

If all else fails you could back up the users files is needed and delete the users profiles and recreated to see if that recitfies the issue.

I would say that if it is spreading and just started recently, track down whoever is able to make changes to your GPO's and grill them until the confess they made changes and make the undo their changes (they did document their changes, right?)

Have you checked the Event Viewers on the local machines? Usually something hanging is a driver or service that may hang at login. Sometimes the machines are also having problems communicating with the PDC (Primary Domain Controller).

Start -> Run -> Eventvwr.msc

Have you checked the Event Viewers on the local machines? Usually something hanging is a driver or service that may hang at login. Sometimes the machines are also having problems communicating with the PDC (Primary Domain Controller).

Start -> Run -> Eventvwr.msc

The machines have had their logs checked, and all be it the occasional userenv error (I still don't know how to fix those, I keep going over eventid.net but I have never been successful) they aren't too common on the main problem machine and I don't think they're related to the situation.

I've spoken with my co-worker, and he's beginning to feel that maybe their systems have been tipped over. There are a few machines where my contact at the PD says that his icons have shifted from the right side of the screen, more to the left... just as though someone used RDP with a smaller res and connected to his machine. He's also been logging into his computer and every now and again, his home page has been changed to NAMBLA's website... Yeah.

I've been taking the approach that well if they have RDP access to his machine, then why aren't they doing worse? But frankly I can't keep thinking that way anymore. I am definitely going to be running many scans of many programs to see what I can find. They do have Antivirus on the machines, latest versions of Symantec Client Security being handed down from one of the DC's, but I'm beginning to see that may not be enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back