multimedia PC reformat

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Hello - long time no post.

I am just wondering about reformatting for a friend of mine...

Thing is they have this freaky Acer that is a multimedia beast with FM radio and TV built in as well as PC.... They mainly just use it as a PC though.

Anyway - just curious if I reformat will the dial up facilities that are built in pre-boot to go direct to the media centres still operate or be lost? I think they seem to be BIOS driven and not anyway near the XP OS since they seem to come up without showing the POST screen.

But could I be wrong?

not sure fo make and model - but it's a P4 3.2GHz

That should just be an add-in card that you should be able to see when you do re-install.

Even if it is not an add-in the reformat should not hurt it.

thanks falcon - as a follow up which I may make new thread elsewhere - I turned on BIOS option to detect MBR writing activity and it is happening every POST... is that part of this setup? I ask because there were a number of VIRII on the machine when I reached it (all gone now I hope!)

you want to disable MBR protection in the bios. windows will trigger that like its gone out of fashion :)

you want to disable MBR protection in the bios. windows will trigger that like its gone out of fashion :)
done it - was a right pain - but wanted to know why? Didn't USED to do that and this is XP we are talking not Vista...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back