Multi-Cores and Clock Speeds

Unleashed

We Speak Geek
Can someone explain something to me please? My Q6600 runs at 2.4ghz. I assumed this is 2.4ghz overall, but I've just seen on another forum someone thinks theirs runs at 2.4ghz per core.
Could someone clear up which of us is correct please?
Thank you!

As far as I know, both cores are running at 2.4Ghz but they this isn't the same as one at 4.8Ghz, so you're both right in a way!

Each core runs, typically, at 2.4GHz in your setup.

You may notice instances where each core operates at a different clock from the other.

It's cool.

Like Ray says (reading between the lines), if this bloke suggests his 2.4 ghz/quad system is running at 9.6 ghz, slap him :cool:

At least, that's what I think Ray is implying. I could be wrong :D

I say what everyone says

clock speeds couldn't be counted sequentially, like 4 cars doing 100mph, you don't get there any faster you can just carry more passengers

carrying a whole bunch of people would take less time only becuase you carried more at once but not because you drove any faster

errr

sumptin like that

Yes, but with cars, you can use drifting to get faster and faster :eek:

I wonder if you can do that with a processor :eek:

Yes, but with cars, you can use drifting to get faster and faster :eek:

I wonder if you can do that with a processor :eek:
my solstice is a perfect drift car right out of the box, I can power drift with horsepower, e drift with brake, feint drift with momentum

perfect ballance...pontiac really got this car right

speaking of cars, can we say highjack?

I say what everyone says

clock speeds couldn't be counted sequentially, like 4 cars doing 100mph, you don't get there any faster you can just carry more passengers

carrying a whole bunch of people would take less time only becuase you carried more at once but not because you drove any faster

errr

sumptin like that

Good analogy. Same thing with 64 bit versus 32 bit. Kinda like when people played the 64 bit version of Unreal and said "WTF it doesn't run faster".

my solstice is a perfect drift car right out of the box, I can power drift with horsepower, e drift with brake, feint drift with momentum

perfect ballance...pontiac really got this car right

speaking of cars, can we say highjack?

Well, we can say hijack, sure.

But it's cool, question was already answered :D

Btw, I only have one issue with the Pontiac Solstice.

It's a Pontiac :smoker:

eeh.... was thinking more like 4 inventors trying to take something really huge through a rather small door. They can try all they want to get it through in one piece, but seeing as it's got a limited amount of throughput, it'll never happen. Can try to open up for a bit more throughput.... but that could cause some damage. the most efficient way is to have all four work on four separate parts and push them through the door.

when you merge two things together you'd expect synergy, but that doesn't seem to happen with cpus for some reason. :(

Synergy= Symbiotic water symphony. So if you have water cooling on a multi core system you have synergy.

when you merge two things together you'd expect synergy, but that doesn't seem to happen with cpus for some reason. :(

Hah, tell me about it. I learnt about synergy a long time ago when working on cars!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back