MUI CACHE Question

P

Psychlone1

I have noticed that the MUI cache (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache) is rather large, with some sensitive information about programs that I don't want to keep.
Somewhere I read that it is possible to have the machine dump this cache on shutdown, but I can't remember where I saw it.
I've created a 300k registry file that modifies 66 different keys and values, (to get rid of the aforementioned programs) but when I reboot, the MUI cache (only partially modified to not reflect those specific programs that I don't want in the registry,) is still reflecting the keys and values that I don't want...
The keys and values that I'm trying to remove are from programs that are NOT on this computer...rather, I use these files from a CD, for a short time, then, when finished, instead of manually erasing any trace in the registry, (66 values/keys,) I double-click the 300k registry file I created to get rid of them...works like a charm!!! -- Except for the MUI Caches!!!
I realize that every time I run these programs, they sink their hooks into the registry...I've traced them...the problem is trying to get rid of all these values/keys after I'm done with the programs.
CAN THE MUI CACHES BE DELETED SAFELY from within my file when ran???
-- Since they are the ONLY places that won't accept my file's registry changes...I'd like to just dump them if possible.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Yes you can delete the MUICache with no problems, as long as you have a copy that can replace it straight away.
To delete the MUICache without going into the registry, just copy and paste this into Notepad and call it
MUICacheGone.reg
-----------copy and Paste between the lines----------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache]
---------------------end Copy and Paste-----------------------

Have a copy of the good MUICache made before installing the programs you don't want in there. Then after you double-click the MUICacheGone.reg file, just double-click the good reg file.

All will be hunky-dory

Thank you, Dirk!!
I should have thought a little more about it...guess tweaking when you're tired isn't recommended!!!

Thanks again!!
Psychlone1

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back