msview folder in xp

brianthebeaver

OSNN Junior Addict
can anyone tell me please if all the files in the msview folder are actually needed , as i have hundreds of files in that folder

I don't have a "msview" folder. Where is this folder and what kind of files are in it?

hi
the folder is in c\windows\system32\msview

and i have 490 files in there totalling 84.1mb

"MSView is a Browser Helper Object that displays advertisements and downloads and installs files"

click.

Brian, what types of files? How about a screenshot of the contents of the folder.

tzepp and Sean might be on the right track. Every result points to a virus/malware of some sort.

hi madmatt thank you for all your help
how do i do a screenshot sorry i am new to the forum

Brian,

To take a screenshot press ALT+Prt Scr on your keyboard (make sure Windows Explorer is the active window).

Then open up MS Paint or a similar program. Paste and save it.

Post it here as an attachment.

Brian,

I deleted your last post. The files you attached were indeed viruses of some sort. I recommend running a virus scan in Safe Mode.

To boot to Safe Mode press F8 right before the Windows Boot Screen appears.

Make sure your virus def's are up-to-date before booting to Safe Mode.

You should also run an anti-spyware program of sort (my current favorite is Microsoft AntiSpyware, others include Ad-Aware and Spybot).

i wondered where my post went to
i run adaware and spybot every day and neither find them
some things that are in that folder are related to xp aswell and related to programs i have downloaded

you will have to explain to me how to do a screenshot as i have the alt key but no prt or scr keys

Brian, yes, never attach files that could be harmful to others. Just a head's up.

Anyway, have you run a virus scan? Such as Norton AntiVirus?

sorry matt that was the only way i could show you something of what was in the folder because i could not do a screenshot
i have run antivirus and it says nothing is found, can i not just delete the whole folder
brian

Delete the contents and the folder MSVIEW

Click Start, Run, type in MSCONFIG, and press Enter
Click the Startup tab
Look for any thing that points to that directory. Uncheck any thing that does.
Press OK and reboot

Delete Temp Internet Files, Cookies, and History.

Delete the contents of C:\WINDOWS\Temp

Delete the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp

What anti-virus software are you using?

madmatt said:
To take a screenshot press ALT+Prt Scr on your keyboard (make sure Windows Explorer is the active window).

Is there a reason to push ALT?

I just push Print Screen and it works.

Holding ALT while pressing Print Screen takes only the active Window.

I see....

I just crop whatever is on screen with PSP or use Snag-It to do captures.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back