MSN webcam works on one router, but not on another one of the same type

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
Hey guys...

I just got the Linksys WRT54G (I wanted another one, my dad wanted that one cuz its cheaper, we had the Linksys BEFW11S4 before). Anyways, I'm having lots of trouble using the webcam on msn. I can get it to run, but the speed is total crap and it shuts down after about 5 min of usage or so. This happens only in my house though. Right now I'm at work, and they have the same router as I do, but the webcam works flawlessly. We both have the same internet connections with the same speeds and the signal strength is the same as well. The difference that I notice is that over here, when I look at the network connections, I have the wireless listed, and also another category called "Internet Gateway". Under that it has one item called Internet Connection, the type is Internet Gateway, and the status is disabled. In my house this isn't shown, and I only have the wireless connection listed.
I'm curious, if both routers have the same firmware, what could be doing this?
I looked at the router configs and there's no port forwarding on either of them, and both of them have UnPnP enabled.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Apu

EDIT: Both routers are the same versions, and the one difference is that my home's router isn't using DHCP, while the one here is. When I connect here however, I don't reconfigure to use the DHCP, I just keep the same settings as in my house and I can still connect.

Last edited:
IIRC, there is about 7 different versions of Linksys WRT54G wireless routers. Ranging from Ver1.0 to 4.0. They all look the same on the outside as well. Their GUI will most probably look different between versions, and as the new ones come out, they are loaded with a few more additions. They should all basically perform the same way, just getting them to do it will be different between them. I would recommend flashing to the latest firmware. to make sure you got all the latest improvements.

Heeter

Which of the 3 computers is the webcam not working on? Or is it not working with all three?

And just for grins try setting the computer you have the webcam on to DMZ and see if that helps.

I'm searching the web for more info.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,14092967

Found this so far. You are not alone with this problem. Seems to be router firmware and happens to a limited number of people. Read last post in thread. Third party firmware fixed it. Or a new router...

Last edited:
Well, I fixed it...now the router shows itself as an internet gateway when I look at the Network Connections window. What I did was turn on DHCP and limit it to one client and the lease time as 1 min (so no one will be able to log on from outside), while keeping all IPs configured manually. Oddly enough, it worked. I guess the DHCP has to be enabled for it to work properly? I'm not sure of the reason, but if it works, then yay :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back