MSN Messenger

G

Greymire

Is ther anyway to get messenger not to load everytime I run IE or Outlook Express? It is frustrating. Then, everytime it runs it puts itself back in the startup group. I have removed from ther at least 50 times. I do not use MSN Messenger, so why do we have to put up with it?

Sorry

Guess I vented a little bit above. My apologies!

Just saw you had XP Home and I don't think you get gpedit.mcs.

go to www.activewin.com and then click on windows XP left hand side of page, then tips and tricks, they have a hack to stop messenger loading

Have you checked this site, it seems to be the best XP resource I have seen in a long time.

outlook should have a option that you can uncheck labeled enable instant messaging from outlook.

that should stop it from loading when outlook is opened., or you can go the reg hacking route and uninstall messenger altogether :)

Thanks

Thanks for all of the info. I use XP Pro. I will look into all of it.

Yes sorry about that didn't realise that "XP Home" meant newbie Duh! very clever except to those that have XP Home I guess.

:confused:

LOL

Neither did I actually. No big deal. Funny how you can be a PC tech, use a program for years, then be temporarily befuddled by a new verion. Anyway, the regedit fix mentioned in the link above does indeed work, but if you are using Outlook Express, be prepared for a much longer load time. I guess it is searching for MSN Messenger. It does load, but takes a bit longer. I deleted the key I entered just because of that. I just installed Office XP. I here Outlook will disable that, but I haven't looked yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back