MSN Messenger vs. Windows Messenger

L

LilBlueDawg

wut's the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger? why would they have made a messenger just for XP if it's the same as regular MSN Messenger? also will there be a Windows Messenger 5?

Well MSN Messenger and the Windows Messenger are basically the same program with a different name. Well only M$ knows why they made Windows Messenger part of XP when its pretty much the same as MSN Messenger.

hmmm... if i'm not mistaken, there is a windows service called messenger. some people may refer to this as windows messenger .... go to control panel/administrative tools/services. you'll see a service called messenger...

Description:
Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted.

Well I know what service that is and its not if I remember right related to Windows/MSN Messenger. That service is if you are in a corporate office and the IT Department wants to let a person know about something. Its more of LAN messenger instead of WAN messenger which the one we are discussing is.

Windows messenger is designed specifically for XP and is not the same as MSN messenger, nor is it 100% compatible with MSN messenger. You do not notice any difference if you are just sending messages but if you try to use the video (webcam) feature of Windows messenger you will find that you can only use it with another person that is also using Windows messenger. The video feature is not compatible with MSN messenger. There may be other features that are not compatible between the two but the video is on that I know is not compatible.

Originally posted by jw50
Windows messenger is designed specifically for XP and is not the same as MSN messenger, nor is it 100% compatible with MSN messenger. You do not notice any difference if you are just sending messages but if you try to use the video (webcam) feature of Windows messenger you will find that you can only use it with another person that is also using Windows messenger. The video feature is not compatible with MSN messenger. There may be other features that are not compatible between the two but the video is on that I know is not compatible.

he's right

I just installed MSN Messenger 5 on my dads, should confuse him when he gets back from London tonight, hhehehe.

I just installed MSN Messenger 5.

I dont really like it...

1) I hate the way when something pops up (i.e. someone signing in) you can't close it with the right mouse button.

2) Another annoying thing is that when I open outlook express Windows Messenger loads up, so there's two on the system tray at once!

I think I'll uninstall it and just stick with Windows Messanger :)

EP thats by far the most elite sig i have ever seen!

How do you make all these kick @|253 (arse) sigs?

Would you consider making me one like that?
(current sig)

PLEASE?

Thanks mate,

Bye for now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back