MSN Messenger v2.2 Ad Remover?

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Does anyone know where to get a patch to remove the ads from MSN Messenger version 2.2 or how to remove the ads yourself? Please advice.

Thank you in advance.

//matt

Try installing MsnMessenger Plus! from www.patchou.com...
Are you sure your version is 2.2 ? It's seems very old and I'm not sure MSNM Plus! will work if it's really 2.2... anyway MSNM Plus! works like a charm to remove ads and many other special/extra features for Msn Messenger ;)

how is it even working? didnt microsoft say a few months ago versions below 6.0 wont work?

j79zlr said:
Why this link ? We're talking about Msn Messenger because some of us like it, so why do you suggest an alternative ?
I use Trillian Pro myself for other mediums than Msn, so I like it very much, but again this thread is about Msn Messenger ;)
Madmatt, I strongly suggest you to upgrade Msn Mssenger to v6.1.xx and next install MsnMessengerPlus!

MsgPlus! is a neat addon for MSN Messenger but I'm debating if it's worth the 5MB of resources it takes up. I only use it to block those ads and the manual renaming of contacts.

As we are chatting about messenger, is there some kind of hack out there which will allow me (I am in UK) to use the chat rooms on MSN? I really miss the trivia rooms, if you didn't know they banned us in the UK from using their chat sites.

This version is aimed towards Exchange Server. It is used as a means of communicating through our Exchange Server. Newer versions do not support this.

Nevermind, I found Windows Messenger v5.0 for Exchange Server.

Kr0m said:
MsgPlus! is a neat addon for MSN Messenger but I'm debating if it's worth the 5MB of resources it takes up. I only use it to block those ads and the manual renaming of contacts.

well, I could tell you how to block those ads ;)

Start -> Run -> services.msc

Find "messenger", double click, set its startup type to "disabled", hit ok, then right click and hit "stop". Problem solved.

The "messenger" service has nothing to do with msn/windows messenger :)

Graebob said:
well, I could tell you how to block those ads ;)

Start -> Run -> services.msc

Find "messenger", double click, set its startup type to "disabled", hit ok, then right click and hit "stop". Problem solved.

The "messenger" service has nothing to do with msn/windows messenger :)

I'm not sure if your post is total scarcasm or you seriously mistaken this thread to be about the Messenger Service in Windows. Each post states pretty clearly that we're talking about the Instant Messaging program made by MS.

Kr0m said:
I'm not sure if your post is total scarcasm or you seriously mistaken this thread to be about the Messenger Service in Windows. Each post states pretty clearly that we're talking about the Instant Messaging program made by MS.
I agree with you Kr0m, I think he totally misunderstood what this thread is all about...

Maybe, I tend to do things like that, chip in my .02 where its not needed, but oh well :rolleyes:

My comment was in reference to Kr0ms comment of "those ads". I assumed by "those ads" he meant the popup Alert style ads that were rife under MSN/Windows messenger, in which case the tweak I provided is in fact perfectly valid.

However, it's NOT valid if I was mistaken and "those ads" refers to any other ad (such as the one at the bottom of the main client window for example).

Sorry for any mixup, I certainly wasn't being sarcastic, just perhaps a little over-zealous :)

Yes the ads at the bottom of Msn Messenger are not linked to the Windows Messenger Service... ;)

Graebob said:
Maybe, I tend to do things like that, chip in my .02 where its not needed, but oh well :rolleyes:

My comment was in reference to Kr0ms comment of "those ads". I assumed by "those ads" he meant the popup Alert style ads that were rife under MSN/Windows messenger, in which case the tweak I provided is in fact perfectly valid.

However, it's NOT valid if I was mistaken and "those ads" refers to any other ad (such as the one at the bottom of the main client window for example).

Sorry for any mixup, I certainly wasn't being sarcastic, just perhaps a little over-zealous :)
The alerts are affiliated with the messenger service, a network communication protocol that is completely unrelated to either windows messenger or msn messenger. i.e. if i completely uninstall msn messenger I would still get those alerts.

leedogg said:
The alerts are affiliated with the messenger service, a network communication protocol that is completely unrelated to either windows messenger or msn messenger. i.e. if i completely uninstall msn messenger I would still get those alerts.
You told again what I already said, different way, different words, but the very same thing ;)

You those ads don't bother me. I hardly notice their there. Then again when I use messenger it's usually hidden. Oh well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back