MSN Messenger question.

A

astro

I have seen several posts here on how to uninstall MSN messenger, but what I want to do is just stop it from starting when I start outlook express.
It fires up and if I try to exit, it won't let me because it says OE needs it.
right now I just Ctrl-Alt-Del it and end task.

am I missing something really simple here?

in OE go to tools->options.....on the general tab uncheck "automatically log on to windows messenger" and restart OE

tried that, that just stops it from logging in, still doesn't stop it from loading.

for me it stops it from loading

try this......open messenger and go to tools->option and click the preferences tab. Uncheck "allow this program to run in the background" I have this checked, but it only loads messenger when i go to www.hotmail.com

something must be wrong.......but i think you're gonna need some regsitry hacking to fix this one. I'll get back to you

don't know if this helps or not, but I am using winXP pro (corp) and MSN Messnger 4.5 (latest one)

I think so.... installed this a couple of times on three machines.
I know that the problem didn't start untill I upgraded to the latest version of messenger.

Originally posted by AmarSingh
for me it stops it from loading

try this......open messenger and go to tools->option and click the preferences tab. Uncheck "allow this program to run in the background" I have this checked, but it only loads messenger when i go to www.hotmail.com

I was haveing problems uninstalling Messenger ( could not actualy ) but this solution solved my problem... I hate when any program that I don't want nor use is constantly in my face... Thanks for the tip.

it doesn't start at startup, it starts with OE.
And I DO want to be able to use it when I want to.
I just don;t wan't it starting everytime I load outlook express.

the admin tool doesn't give that option.
this setting only affects it at windows logon, not OE startup.

Ok easy way to stop messenger is to goto run and type msconfig. goto the start up tab and unclick msmsgs. then hit ok.. that is how i got rid of it and increased my boot time.

I say again......

IT DOES NOT START WIN I BOOT WINDOWS.

It starts automatically though every time I start Outlook Express and won't let me shut it down as long as OE is running.

I can shut it down by doing a ctrl-alt-del and selcting it and ending task.

I don't want it to start with OE, I only want it to start when I want it too, and it would be nice to be able to shut it off without having to do the ctrl-alt-del part.

do you have outlook XP installed somewhere on your system maybe from an office xp install?

I have installed office XP but did not install Outlook as part of the install as I don't use it.

something is definately wrong

ok.....im sure youve tried this......but read on

open messenger with OE closed, got to tools->options and make sure "allow this program to run in the background" is unchecked

close messenger completely (right click its icon in the tray and click exit)

open OE

go to tools->options ..make sure "automatically log onto windows messenger" is unchecked

close OE

reboot windows

try opening OE

if you have the same problem i suggest unistalling and reinstalling OE (and maybe messenger too) cuz it seems as though something is wrong.

I have checked this setting in both places... no go.

as to uninstalling OE, it is part of windows... uninstall is not an option.

Finally figured it out...
I have to close the contacts window in OE, and it worked!

what a pain in the but just to figure that out....:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back