msmsg uninstall problem

P

PCPup

First off I would like to introduce myself and say hello to everyone here ;)

My problem; I followed the msmsg tweak to uninstall MSIM from my PC ( A program I dislike with a passion ) and after I edited and removed the "hide" from the appropriate file ( sysoc.inf )and msmsg was not listed in my components list in add/remove programs to uninstall the proggy.

Any ideas guys> TIA

Navigate to C:windowsinf
Open sysoc.inf
find msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7 in the file and take out the word hide so the line would look like msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7
Close the file and save it
Now go to the Add and remove programs applet in the control panel and you will be able to uninstall windows messenger.
Make sure to click on the add remove windows components button.
Note: You will be able to uninstall other unneeded programs by removing hide from the sysoc.inf

When you say its NOT in your "add remove" you are looking in your "windows components" page??? Its listed as ms messenger

K;)

Originally posted by Kylie
When you say its NOT in your "add remove" you are looking in your "windows components" page??? Its listed as ms messenger

K;)

Yes I am looking in my add/remove Windows components tab.. :)

I rifled through my add/remove programs as well and still no go..

Any ideas? Thanks for the help man.

Open sysoc.inf again - and remove ALL instances of "hide" without deleting the commas.
Just in case you missed it - but also lets you decide what other crap to get rid of.

Come back again if that fails

This may be a typo on your part, but i gotta ask

Close the file and save it

Open the file back up and see if the "hide" is still there. If it is, delete it, save, and then close.

Here is a copy of the sysoc.inf file, notice that the correct entry was removed and still have the problem... I will remove all the "hide" extentions and see what happens...

Thanks again guys.

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
DriverVer=07/01/2001,5.1.2600.0

[Components]
NtComponents=ntoc.dll,NtOcSetupProc,,4
WBEM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wbemoc.inf,hide,7
Display=desk.cpl,DisplayOcSetupProc,,7
Fax=fxsocm.dll,FaxOcmSetupProc,fxsocm.inf,,7
NetOC=netoc.dll,NetOcSetupProc,netoc.inf,,7
iis=iis.dll,OcEntry,iis.inf,,7
com=comsetup.dll,OcEntry,comnt5.inf,hide,7
dtc=msdtcstp.dll,OcEntry,dtcnt5.inf,hide,7
IndexSrv_System = setupqry.dll,IndexSrv,setupqry.inf,,7
TerminalServer=TsOc.dll, HydraOc, TsOc.inf,hide,2
msmq=msmqocm.dll,MsmqOcm,msmqocm.inf,,6
ims=imsinsnt.dll,OcEntry,ims.inf,,7
fp_extensions=fp40ext.dll,FrontPage4Extensions,fp40ext.inf,,7
AutoUpdate=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,au.inf,hide,7
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7
RootAutoUpdate=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,rootau.inf,,7
IEAccess=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,ieaccess.inf,,7

Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7
AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7
CommApps=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,communic.inf,HIDE,7
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7
AccessOpt=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,optional.inf,HIDE,7
Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,HIDE,7
ZoneGames=zoneoc.dll,ZoneSetupProc,igames.inf,,7

[Global]
WindowTitle=%WindowTitle%
WindowTitle.StandAlone="*"

[Components]
msnexplr=ocmsn.dll,OcEntry,msnmsn.inf,,7

[Strings]
WindowTitle="Windows Professional Setup"
WindowTitle_Standalone="Windows Components Wizard"

Originally posted by Lonman
This may be a typo on your part, but i gotta ask

Open the file back up and see if the "hide" is still there. If it is, delete it, save, and then close.

That typo would be from the originator of the tweak.. I cut and pasted that directly from the "XP-tweak" page from this site.. ;)

I know what it is. you need to go into Add/remove Windows components. Left of the page, bottom button. Oops, you already said that kylie (i need the little red-faced dude here)

Originally posted by Lonman
I know what it is. you need to go into Add/remove Windows components. Left of the page, bottom button.

lol... I have said that already in two of my previous posts.. I explored both add/remove and add/remove Windows Components the little burger just doesn't want to leave my system... :)

I'm thinking ther might be some other application calling on MSIM and masking the listing some how... I know when I am in the newsgroups and I try to close IM it will not shut down, I get an error stateing that msmsg is in use by another application, exit that application before continuing... MS embedded this proggy deep it seems. :D

ATT Lonman = :D

PCpup, where are we up to know? fixed or not?

K

Not fixed yet .. :( Still trying to figure this out..

I really appreciate the help guys.

XP Rules! ;):D

I am at a loss here, all I can say is "re-install" messenger from anywhere. goto M$ and download it all [I assume you cant see it in your windows setup - otherwise we wouldnt be here]

hopefully that may repair any corrupt uninst files - then go back and uninstall.
long winded and a pain but I am at a loss :mad:

Originally posted by Kylie
I am at a loss here, all I can say is "re-install" messenger from anywhere. goto M$ and download it all [I assume you cant see it in your windows setup - otherwise we wouldnt be here]

hopefully that may repair any corrupt uninst files - then go back and uninstall.
long winded and a pain but I am at a loss :mad:

Excellent Idea!

I removed all the "hide" extentions and everyone of those showed up in my components tab.. what you suggested sounds like the next logical step. Thank you. :D

ah bummer... didn't work. Perhaps I'll uninstall MSN Explorer to see if that helps any... I never use it anyways ;) IE-6 is just to awesome.

Uninstalling MSN Exploer did not reveal msmsg in the components tab in add/remove but now when I go to the newsgroups msmsg no longer opens... strange stuff I might add...

So everyone is at a loss here? Maybe I should submit this problem to Axcel216 and see if he can figure it out... thanks alot for the help guys, much appreciated .

This might sound dumb , but I noticed in my file and yours that system critical files the has hide and low numbers at the end. The others that I was able to get to show had 7 as the last entry. You MSN has a 6 at the end. Mine had 7.

Just a hunch try changing the number to a 7 and see if it will show

Originally posted by T-Bear
This might sound dumb , but I noticed in my file and yours that system critical files the has hide and low numbers at the end. The others that I was able to get to show had 7 as the last entry. You MSN has a 6 at the end. Mine had 7.

Just a hunch try changing the number to a 7 and see if it will show

msmq=msmqocm.dll,MsmqOcm,msmqocm.inf,,6
ims=imsinsnt.dll,OcEntry,ims.inf,,7
fp_extensions=fp40ext.dll,FrontPage4Extensions,fp40ext.inf,,7
AutoUpdate=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,au.inf,hide,7
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

Should I attempt to change that value? What is msmq? Is that part of Messenger?

Thanks in advance. ;):D

Though msmq is integrated with other components I beleive it would not provide resolve with my current dilema....

MSMQ is fully integrated with other Windows 2000® features such as Microsoft ComPlus Transactions (fomerly known as Microsoft Transaction Server (MTS); Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS), the built-in Windows 2000 Server Web server; Windows 2000 clustering services; and the Windows 2000 security environment. Because MSMQ is a feature of Windows 2000, MSMQ is ideally suited for use by independent software vendors.

Any gurus out there have any suggestions? TIA

sorry looking at it again, thats noe messenger that has the 6 behind it. Did'nt look that close.

Another question, do you have the file protection turned off.It could be resetting the file after you save it

Originally posted by T-Bear
sorry looking at it again, thats noe messenger that has the 6 behind it. Did'nt look that close.

Another question, do you have the file protection turned off.It could be resetting the file after you save it

Well I have went back and looked at the file again after I rebooted and the entry was the same as I saved it.

I'll try turning off WFP and see what happens..

Thank you for your help and support.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back