MSMGR, How do I get rid of it!

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
In Windows XP PRO msmgr keeps restarting and I go to tasks and end the process and it keeps coming back. I went in to services through msconfig and disabled it and it still comes back.

While I am playing pool all of a sudden I get the busy cursor and I am not sure, but i think it is msmgr starting up or doing someting. It is getting annoying. I don't have outlook open during the time that it comes back. Also in the preferences, all the boxes to have it not start are unchecked.

Please Help

Originally posted by wingman411
I went in to services through msconfig and disabled it and it still comes back.

The service you disabled through msconfig is not in any way related to XP Messenger. See a description of this service below. The link in jkipk's post has the answer to your question.

Messenger ~ sends messages between clients and servers. This service needs not to be running under normal "home" conditions. It is also advisable to make this service go away to avoid the possibility of "net send" messages hitting your computer from the internet. This has nothing to do with MSN Messenger, nor is it "WinPopUp".

To test for this security vulnerability, at the command prompt, (run: cmd.exe) type:

net send 127.0.0.1 hi

If you get a popup "hi" message, you should disable the Messenger service.
If you get an error stating, "The message alias could not be found on the network", you are safe.

If, for whatever reason, you need the Messenger service running but wish not to have spam popups active, you can disable the particular ports at your firewall. The Messenger service uses UDP ports 135, 137, and 138; TCP ports 135, 139, and 445.

Dependencies:

NetBIOS Interface
Plug and Play
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Workstation

Info copied from: Blkviper.com
presented in purty colors because I'm bored.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back