MSI KT4V and 9600XT problem

mlakrid

OSNN BASSMASTER
Political Access
Ok everyone I got a good one for you... I sent my old 9600XT to a friend who wants to pay BF2 among other games with me on-line

Here are his PC specs:

Mobo: MSI 6712 KTV4 (dont know Bios version)
CPU: XP 2000 Proc
Hard Drive: WD 100GB HDD
Video: Radeon 9600XT video
Memory: Wintec DDR 512MB single stick
PSU: Model Unsure but its 400 Watts he wil let me know when he can

No other peripherals powered by this PSU

He installed the 9600XT and had it running for about a minute when it crapped the bed, and powered down, no warning, no restart no nothing

he removed it and put his old video in there and no probs, Im doubtful its a PSU issue as its a 400W PSU and even if it was a cheapo should handle the power in the system.

SO I asked if he used updated drivers, and he said he used the ones associated with XP Pro and had not tried any other driver because the system would not stay stable long enough to Down load them.

I was hoping one of you might have used the same system setup or at least the same system as far as the mobo/proc/video to rule out an incompatibility issue.... everything I have read on-line says that video card should work in that mobo...

I have neevr used anything from MSI before, so anyone have any other ideas?

I suggested DLing the latest catalyst drivers tot he C: Drive and using them to run the board after the intial boot, any other Ideas Please post here or PM me...

THANKS guys...

Well 400 Watts but what are the rails? How about running memtest?

Kermit_The_Frog said:
Well 400 Watts but what are the rails? How about running memtest?

He used a monitoring software, and said all the voltages were well within tolerances... I still dont know what model or Brand it is...

I will have him do a mem check tonight...

thanks for the memory Idea, I guess it could be, but it would be odd that it is memory because after he put his old video back in it runs like a champ again...

Yes but its more too eliminate the mem as a problem, I get a feeling his power supply might not be strong enough, if it is at all possible try that video card in another machine.

well I know the video card worked up till about 1 month ago, thats when I got my new 6800GT and I replaced that card for the new one.

I would have a feeling it is because he is using an EVAL copy of XP Pro with SP1... I cant be sure...

Dont see how that would work with one card and not another ...unless your thinking he needs to reactivate but if that was the case he would get a message , it would not just crap out.

mlakrid said:
well I know the video card worked up till about 1 month ago, thats when I got my new 6800GT and I replaced that card for the new one.

I would have a feeling it is because he is using an EVAL copy of XP Pro with SP1... I cant be sure...

I think you have something there.
The driver download is a great idea. As soon as the XT is recognized by the OS, point it at the downloaded, extracted drivers. Hopefully it will increase the stability of the system.

He says he tried this, man I wish I was there, hes no dummy, and has a very well-rounded experience in PC building. Im starting to think with al the phone calls it could be an incompatibility issue... however, I can find NOTHING on google which supports this theory....

anyone?

mlakrid said:
/bump

No one?

Mlakrid
I had a similar issue.

Check to see if Fastwrite is enabled.
If so, turn it off.

I ran into problems back when Doom 3 and FarCry came out... I went with Omega drivers and it worked just fine. I updated my ati drivers before switching to Omega... After I noticed that Fastwrite was off with Omega.. i downloaded the ati drivers again, and turned fastwrite off.

Been working just fine ever since.
Mind you, that was like 8 catalysts ago.

giv'r a try anyway

jimi_81 said:
Mlakrid
I had a similar issue.

Check to see if Fastwrite is enabled.
If so, turn it off.

I ran into problems back when Doom 3 and FarCry came out... I went with Omega drivers and it worked just fine. I updated my ati drivers before switching to Omega... After I noticed that Fastwrite was off with Omega.. i downloaded the ati drivers again, and turned fastwrite off.

Been working just fine ever since.
Mind you, that was like 8 catalysts ago.

giv'r a try anyway

Awesome... I will give him this information, and finf out...

THanks Jimi..

The basic config is good:
-Kt400 MB, Athlon XP CPU & 9600XT is a config a buddy is running BF2 on.
-That config only requires a 300W power supply.

As per above have him reset the bios to safe, default, optimum or whatever they call it for that MB and see if that helps.

The other possibility is old drives still lurking in the system. It took me over 2 hours last night to pry the X800XL drivers out and my 9800 PRO installed properly and they were both ATI cards! Mine crapped when I tried to set the monitor refresh to 75Hz after install. BSOD showed ati file as culprit.

Clean out - Turn off system restore, use add/remove programs, ATI uninstall, drivercleaner, a manual registry check (regcleaner) and delete the directories when it says it is done. It may take multiple passes

LeeJend said:
Clean out - Turn off system restore, use add/remove programs, ATI uninstall, drivercleaner, a manual registry check (regcleaner) and delete the directories when it says it is done. It may take multiple passes

It works every time. :)

LeeJend said:
The basic config is good:
-Kt400 MB, Athlon XP CPU & 9600XT is a config a buddy is running BF2 on.
-That config only requires a 300W power supply.

As per above have him reset the bios to safe, default, optimum or whatever they call it for that MB and see if that helps.

Mine crapped when I tried to set the monitor refresh to 75Hz after install. BSOD showed ati file as culprit.

Good to know it will work...

He did set it to defaults but still had probs, I dont know about the system restore... or if he ran regcleaner... the rest he did...

I wish I was there.. I know I could have fixed it without having to do the phone "prodding" he doesnt want to bother with it anymore.. I told him to backup any files he wants and fresh re-install.. hes been on that same build for over 2 years....

I fresh install almost every 6-9 months

Oh well... :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back