MSI GeForce 4 MX 460 crashes / comp freezes

Lukas

Real Name No Gimmicks
Hi all,

(system specs: see signature)

yesterday I upgraded my GeForce 2 MX 400 to MSI GeForce 4 MS 460. I was satisfied with my GF 2 so I chose the MX series again. But now I only can play evety game about 5 minutes, after that my computer crashes. No BSOD, no reboot, it just freezes and the sound loops over approx. 0.5 secs.

I've tried different games like MOHAA, CS, GTA3, OF, ... and different drivers but I couldn't isolate the cause. It's failing in Direct3D and in OpenGL, windowed and full-screen, high performance - low quality and low performance - high quality settings. Tried different BIOS settings too...

I'm getting desperate here...

Anyone ecountered this problem b4?

Greetz

Lukas

It sounds like a driver issue... if you haven't gotten fed up already, and returned the card... try compleatly removing the driver... Uninstall it and use just a standard VGA driver. Restart the machine, THEN install your new detinators... Hope that helps :)

Swithing vidcards ( doesn't matter what model ) includes a new fresh XP reinstall - try also " Load setup defaults " from BIOS also ..

I switched mine, and didn't have to re-install at all. I went from a tnt2 to an ATI all in wonder radeon last year... it involves installing your drivers correctly

Originally posted by ignipotentis
I switched mine, and didn't have to re-install at all. I went from a tnt2 to an ATI all in wonder radeon last year... it involves installing your drivers correctly
I agree. There should be no need for a reinstall. It's just a video card. A new motherboard however is another story.

that happened to my gf3 ti500
i asked about this problem b4, and the solution was to update your motherboard bios, flashing it

now, it works fine

Originally posted by Zedric
I agree. There should be no need for a reinstall. It's just a video card. A new motherboard however is another story.
I concur. When my heatsink fell off my old GF2MX, I swapped an ATI Rage Pro Turbo in until I got the card back from Evga. It worked fine, and I also switched back to the GF2MX when I got it back. Just be sure to uninstall the drivers for it.

........i though the MX series suck total crap
why are they still selling so well to non-newbs like us?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back