Msconfig startup descriptions

S

Sux

I saw an address for a site in a magazine and it is supposed to give a description of startup programs ,what they do and if they need to be launched at startup,but the link must be out of date cos it couldn't be found.
Anyone know of this site or one like it?
I've disabiles 12 startup programs from msconfig that were obviously to do with installed software I have ,but these ones are a mistery so I left them alone.

nwiz.exe/install

CTHELP.exe

Windows\UpdReg.exe

RUDLL32.exe c:\windows\system32\nvCpl.dll,Nvstartup (vidio drivers?)

windows\System32\ctfmon.exe

If you want to disable startup programs then I would recommend X-Setup from
http://www.xteq.com
If you use that you wont get messages from msconfig when you boot up about it not being a standard bootup.

nwiz.exe is an nVidia thing I think

CTHELP.exe do you have any Creative Sound or Graphics cards, as I think this is the Creative Help engine.

UpdReg.exe might be the Windows Auto Updater or something similar.

nvCpl.dll is the nVidia thing in the Advanced Display Properties.

ctfmon.exe I cant remember, but it is definitely a Microsoft app.

Personally I prefer to directly delete unwanted startup entries in the startup folders (All Users and %userprofile%) or in the Registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Disabling them in msconfig has the advantage that it is easier to reenable items if you change your mind.

CTFMon is involved with the language/alternative input services in Office XP. CTFMON.exe will continue to put itself back into MSConfig when you run the Office XP apps as long as the Text Services and Speech applets in the Control Panel are enabled. Not required if you don't need these features.

Updreg.exe Reminder to register Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! cards

Thanks guy you have been a big help,thanks for the web link just what I wanted and an excellent site.I added the Spyware link I found there to favourites as well looks like a good read.

nvcpl is "Daemon Tools" as it turned out.

I've turned everything of now( fingers crossed).

Originally posted by Sux
nvcpl is "Daemon Tools" as it turned out.
Oh right, I've got that on my machine as well, but always thought it was nVidia.

Originally posted by Geffy
If you want to disable startup programs then I would recommend X-Setup from http://www.x-teq.com
If you use that you wont get messages from msconfig when you boot up about it not being a standard bootup.

Geffy all I get on that link is the Hosting page for Go-Daddy. How do you get the X-Setup app.?

You know you can tell it not to display that message everytime windows starts.

Originally posted by Tinker
Geffy all I get on that link is the Hosting page for Go-Daddy. How do you get the X-Setup app.?

Yeah sorry as yoyo said its xteq.com not x-teq.com, boy to I feel silly, I should have checked my links first really.

Although now I will say "I dont know what you are talkin about" oh the fun of edits.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back