MS SP1 will LOCK XP Users (who are using the Corp KEY-?? Probably)

LPDad

OSNN Addict
Well, It was predicted in these forums some time ago and I guess that it is GOING TO HAPPEN !!

Got this from The Register

And one last thing readers who're no better than they should be should bear in mind about SP1. Microsoft is going to engineer it so that it won't work on a widely-warezed activation key, which as we recall escaped form a large friend of Microsoft beginning with D. It would appear that Microsoft does not intend application of SP1 to vape systems installed using that key, but simply to freeze them where they are, and to block their ability to use Windows Update. Microsoft has used service packs to disable installations it deemed pirated in the past, and we'd guess it's decided not to do this because it might hit legit systems by mistake, or generate adverse publicity from innocent victims.

:mad: :mad:

Now where did I put that Corp Key generator and Discover :D :D

I have the Cd Key corporate edition that they are talking about, but it won't affect me will it unless i download the new service pack, right? Plus, what's so good about the new service pack.

Thanx

Aileron

Actually its already happening via automatic updates i belive. I got locked out of mine yesterday and i had to go back to my Legal copy.

Crap, I don't have a legal copy, i guess i'm screwed, cuz my modem doesn't work with Winme and that's all i have. And there's no way I'm going out and spending all that money. Is there any way I don't have to get that automatic update or do they hide it with some sort of update so they can screw you over. I'm broke and is there any possible way I can keep my copy of xp from getting locked.

Any help is appreciated

L8er, Aileron

would you be referring to our friends at devils0wn or our friends at dell?

MS isn't going to lock you out according to all the press that I have read. XP will still work except you will not be able to install the service pack and recive updates for ms products. I believe that when you try to apply the service pack it will scan your ver of XP for the keys so many of us may be using...of cource for convience.

Yeah, thats it.....for CONVENIENCE......of course.....yeah..convenience...:D

i am using the msdn edition build 2505.i know it is pretty old... but i cant seem to update it through windows update. it could be because i am using dial up. but i left my connection on for 4 hours and the windows update still did not initiate.

is it because my version is the msdn version i cant update my windows?

Originally posted by xsk8zerox
Actually its already happening via automatic updates i belive. I got locked out of mine yesterday and i had to go back to my Legal copy.

I have a legal copy on my machine however I have the Devil's Own version on my test machine because I'm always installing new hardware and the activation "poopoo" would be a problem...anyways I have done all Windows Updates and I'm not locked out. Your problem must have been something else....and SP1 won't lock you out to begin with.....they are scared they might hit legitimate machines by mistake.

Don't worry about it anyways 2 hours after the Service Pack is released .... you will find a hacked version on MIRC or Usenet that bypasses the protection. I mean they had the Activation on XP cracked long before it was released to the public :D

Edited for "poopoo" :)
X

sconn

I had the same problems when i was using RC1 and RC2 of XP
bouth of them stoped gettin up dates from windowsupdate after Ms sent me the 120 day full evaluation version build 2600 of XP however you should still be able to get up dates from there corproate up date got the link form this site

http://tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=285

and it should work, hopefully :D

iam still using my 120 day trail because i just use a tool to
by pass that anoying actavation, after all i did pay for all 3 versions of XP :)

Let's be careful talking about "getting around" stuff. If you don't have a legal copy of XP, you should consider purchasing one and not worrying about product activations and updates. ;)
X

I realise that for thoes that dont have a legal copy of XP and i agree they should go and pay for a legal copy, but
i was jsut trying to help out a fellow beta tester here

20 bucks says the register is completely wrong just like it has been about alot of things..MS is not gonna de-activate a key used by plenty of companies and such not to mention the key generator is wide spread. So when sp1 comes out i'm betting it doesn't affect the pirated versions at all

Well look @ office XP and its SP1 when that was added to the pirate copys of XP pro with or with out frontpage, the SP would not update

we will all have to wate and see what happens with the XP SP1

Originally posted by surge
Well look @ office XP and its SP1 when that was added to the pirate copys of XP pro with or with out frontpage, the SP would not update

we will all have to wate and see what happens with the XP SP1

I have the p*r*te version of Office XP Pro Corp. with Frontpage and I have installed SP 1 on it with no probs whatsoever.

So does this mean the register is bullS****** us. I hope there wrong abot this whole thing.

Aileron

ok i have a legit copy of xp pro corp edition. got it from work. am i going to get locked out? or am i just reading this wrong?

oDin.

I was wondering the same thing as oDin. I have a legit copy from my friends work. Will ODin and i get locked out. This whole thing is damn confusing.

Thanx

Aileron

I have noticed no "poopoo" (LOL) as far as the activation scheme for XP. Before getting XP, I had heard the horror stories that each time you install a new device, you will have to call MS. For me, this has not been the case, and I honestly think MS would have gotten tired of re-activating me after I installed a new soundcard, tv/fm card, tripled my memory, added a DVD, and installed 2 NICs within the first 2 weeks of getting XP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back