MS Slashes Price of UK XBox 360! Sony in trouble? What are your views?

What do you think of the Sony's PS3 so far?

• Sony have really let themselves down, it's going to be a flop and I definitely don't want one.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • It's a good console but far too over-priced and I won't be buying one.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I like the PS3, I'll probably buy one when the price gets below £300

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I love the PS3 and I already own one/will be buying one soon!

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Price drops for UK Xbox 360s coming soon...

Premium Xbox 360 - reduced by £30 to £249.99

Xbox 360 Core - reduced by £20 to £179.99

Xbox 360 Elite - initially slated to retail for £329.99, will be £299.99

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6866&Itemid=2

I can't help but wonder how Sony are going to pull back from the position they're in. I've loved Sony since the days of the PSX but their stubborn refusal to lower the PS3 price from £425 (instead they are forcing people to pick extra games they may not really want) could end up costing them big time. The cheapest Xbox 360 is now £180, for what at present seems to be a console with better software and better performance - John Madden 08 runs at 60 FPS on the 360 but only 30 FPS on the PS3!

I have also noticed a severe lack of FSAA in PS3 games, some of them look awful even in HD! What's going on there?

Also, I am more inclined to buy a 360 as I don't want a Blu Ray player, and by the time I have an HD TV ready for a new HD/BR player, I want one with intergrated 5.1 speakers etc, so the 360 will give me more choice of what I want.

It's a real shame as Sony's PS1 and PS2 are/were great consoles. But I think Sony have really dropped the ball this time. What do you guys all think?

EDIT: This makes things a bit more interesting! Could Sony's gamble pay off in the long run, establishing Blu-ray as the next home video format at the expense of short-term PS3 sales?

Last edited:
I was aiming at the PS3 cos it was a cheap blu-ray player. But OcUK have a nice cheaper stand alone player now so once I replace my broken monitor I'll be picking one up :)

The only thing I'm worried about is picking up one of the old 360s that get the RRoD.

Why? It breaks, you send it back and get a lovely regutted one!

Persides, just wait and ensure you buy one with a HDMI sticker on then you will be set.

What annoys me is the noise of my 360 it seems to be on full blast all the time, so much so I actually took it apart - blowing the warranty - but still couldn't make it any quieter.

I can't actually watch a HD-DVD quietly.

Sony alrady loses money on the PS3 at current prices, there is no way they can cut that margin even further, without it affecting their over all stock position. Something their new Chairman is very interested in protecting.

Last edited by a moderator:
How come their FSAA is so naff? Is it to do with the HDR like with standard NVIDIA cards?

Honestly..... i think Sony's been in some real trouble from the get-go.... and hasn't changed since. Yeah.... a select few people got stoked when the 60GB version was dropped to $499.... then the 80GB version came out for $599.... and in time the 60GB version is going to no longer be produced just as the 20GB version is. Probably one reason why it's not doing to hot for both sides. Sony keeps cramming crap into it, trying to get it more worth it's price, all the while spending MORE money on the console, and to the consumer it's still a $600 console that's barely any different from it's $500 counterpart.

if sony DOESN'T cut the price quite drastically sometime soon.... i don't think it'll last much longer. don't see a price cut coming anytime soon though, seeing as the format war is still going strong, which is basically the only reason why the PS3 is still so costly to produce and to buy.

Kinda funny though.... how everyone said Wii is going to suck.... Wii's gonna go the way of the Dreamcast..... nobody will want the Wii since it's graphics "suck" (which Metroid Prime 3 is said to look quite nice for a Wii game, and still isn't stressing the system)..... PS3 will rule them all because it has BluRay, HD support, and good graphics..... but Wii's overall sales have damn near caught up with 360's overall sales in less than a year's time..... while PS3 sits idly behind having less than half the sales of Wii.

Kinda funny though.... how everyone said Wii is going to suck.... Wii's gonna go the way of the Dreamcast..... nobody will want the Wii since it's graphics "suck" (which Metroid Prime 3 is said to look quite nice for a Wii game, and still isn't stressing the system)..... PS3 will rule them all because it has BluRay, HD support, and good graphics..... but Wii's overall sales have damn near caught up with 360's overall sales in less than a year's time..... while PS3 sits idly behind having less than half the sales of Wii.

Except... there aren't any games to play on the Wii :p

Somewhere between the second and third choice for me. It is a tad overpriced, but not horribly considering what's under the hood. I hate to see any console fail because I'm a huge fan of competition.

By the way, system sales are inversely proportional to shelf price (to include portables). I don't feel that's merely coincidence in this day and age.

Did the news of the Xbox 360 price-drop ever get to the front page?

Grandmaster: true.... but there aren't really many games on PS3 that are worthwhile either. got some good ones coming out on Wii in the next month or so.... namely Metroid Prime 3 that's due out in like... 4 days.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back