MS Outlook - send/receive on startup?

J

JDV

I know this is probably basic (no pun intended) but its got me beat...

How do I configure MS Outlook in Office XP so that it will automatically check for and download new mail on startup??

Cannot find a simple command, cannot find an answer in its help files, or on the Microsoft site....

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

JDV the puzzled

well jdv, welcome to this board...stick around

when in oe, hit the oe box that's on the far left tree

hit tools, hit options

now, stick around and help a few people in return:happy:

Nope, sorry: I'm in OE 2002 (SP2), and there doesn't appear to be any 'oe box' in the far left tree that brings up a 'tools' option...

I have tools on the menu bar at the top of the app, but this does not include such an option either - can you be a little more specific - when you say 'tree', do you mean the beige 'outlook shortcuts' column, or the white 'folder list' I have next to it?

This is really beginning to bug me....

Hi,

I think its Outlook 2002? Part of office, Not outlook express? If so, look on tools menu, and see if there is a check next to tools/send/receive settings/disable scheduled send recieve?

If so, uncheck it and Bingo!

Hope this helps.

H@cher

H@cher,

you are right, it is Outlook, not OE. (part of Office XP). 'Disable scheduled send/receive' is not checked, and, as specified in the menu, it therefore checks for new messages on exit....

Great - but I cannot find any box or radio button to tick/check to send/receive on startup, as opposed to exit. Any further ideas?

The confused one :huh:

Tools/Send Receive Settings/Define Send and Receive Groups...

is where your settings choices will be. Now, I reccommend, and others here should back me up on this, not having it set to automatically send/receive on startup. The reason is, some spam/scam-ware have an "auto send", and, of course, you would like to delete this scum prior to this, right?

I also do not use the preview pane, and only open the ones I want.

Up to you though.

Oh God, I'm sorry to be so turgid and obtuse....Yes, I can find that settings tab, and set up send/receive groups..But, it still doesn't offer me the option for an automatic send receive on start up. Thanks for the advice, but I have full firewall & autoupdated Virus protection: even if I didn't, I have to prove to myself that there is a simple way to do this wretched task.

Now, can anyone take me, step by step, into the menu tree that will offer me the option to send/receive on startup????

I'm sure its me, but I'm completely unable to see it........

O don't have that outlook installed, but please try this

hit on the left, whatever box is showing in bold...ON THE TOOLBAR

That should open the tree wiht all the boxes...see if oulook i s in that tree.

you're probably right, I'm just making sure I was clear in my description

HOORAAY!!!

Teddy, I love you and want to have your babies... Many thanks for the assistance, people.:happy:

Nice one Teddy! (That was gonna be my next reply!)

Nice to see another londoner!

What Teddy suggested should automatically check for mail when your connection activates. BUT BEWARE! see above posts!

Hope this little nightmare is over for you!

H@cher

Ow...stop it. It was nothing, honest! :happy:

London all the way my friend, its a great place to be right now!

JDV...what u talking about...im GORGEOUS!! :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back