Ms Office: Excel Question

homesick1337

Computer Lover
I currently run MS OFFICE 2003. An employee of mine recently quit and password protected many of his old documents that he did for us. I never was able to retrieve the password before he quit.

Is there a way to unlock these documents? I keep trying to edit all the excel sheets hes done and it says I need a password.

I even tried to copy paste them into a new document and that won't work either.

I am really left in a dilema here.
How can I get around this?

If anyone can help I would be in your debt.

Thank You,
Mathew

most of the time I am able to save a copy of the passworded document...click on the save item and it should say "this document is read only" etc... and you can save an unpassworded copy

the only security options i've really ever used in excel were "password to open" and "password to modify"

in both cases i can copy and paste data to other spreadsheets...so it sounds like your colleage has done something a bit fancier with his security options.

Have you considered trying to call your colleage?

most of the time I am able to save a copy of the passworded document...click on the save item and it should say "this document is read only" etc... and you can save an unpassworded copy

the only security options i've really ever used in excel were "password to open" and "password to modify"

in both cases i can copy and paste data to other spreadsheets...so it sounds like your colleage has done something a bit fancier with his security options.

Have you considered trying to call your colleage?

Yea the password error I get in excel tells me

"The cell or chart you are trying to modify is protected and there for read only. To modify a protected cell or chart, first remove protection using the unprotected sheet command. Tools, menu, protection menu. You may be prompt for a password".

I tried to copy and paste , it let me save as also but the copy still gives me that message.

I would try to call but the person, left without any contact info. This work was also given to me recently without my knowing of how long they have had this and finally decided they needed to use some old excel information for newer company price list.

Thanks,
Mathew

P.S If possible I could email you a copy or sample and maybe you could get a better idea, and see if I am mistaken or not seeing something.

yeah - for sure.

go for it, i'll see what i can do for you.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back